• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

anothershopliftingtopic :(

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

wesaidlalala

What is the name of your state? Colorado
Hi. Sorry for starting a new topic, but i searched and thought I should. I am 20 years old. The other day I was in a hobby store with a friend for supplies for a project he was working on. We looked at paint markers and they were more money than he had. A couple of the packages had been opened, so I ended up thinking it would be ok to take two of those markers, the markers together came to a price of around 6.50. A bit later two men approached and asked about the markers in my pocket. Since a kid had already been caught shoplifting, two police officers were just arriving. So after awhile the police man wrote me an order to appear in court form for a little more than a month away.

I have never been in trouble (legally) for anything in my life. I feel so embarrased and scared and confused about all of this now. I know it is/was wrong and I should have never done it. While most of me wishes it had never happened and I never did in the first place, other parts of me appreciates it for what it has brought out in me, and what i have learned through it. I just want to take care of it.

I really have no idea of what is happening. What is likely to happen? Somebody told me that it would be a good idea to talk to a public defender (since I am in school and don't have much money), is this advisable? At the court date will I likely be asked to plead guilty or non guilty and given a fine or something? I am just really bummed at myself for letting this happen, and wish I could avoid having it on my permanent record. Is this at all possible? If anybody can help, with anything, or help me understand, I would love you forever. I promise.

racer72

Do talk to the DA and make your best offer. Expect some hefty fines from both the court and the retailer. And every time you apply for a job, you get to check yes under the part about being convicted of a crime too.

JETX

Sorry, I disagree with Racer. This is a CRIMINAL matter that could (depending on your career plans) have an impact on your long-term future. Do NOT talk with the DA without benefit of counsel. You are (and will be) at a HUGE disadvantage. The DA's role is NOT as your 'friend' and do not assume he has your best interest at heart. He is the called the PROSECUTOR for a reason.

Your options:
1) If you can afford one, get an attorney. Go to step 3.
2) If you truly can't afford one, go to court on the date/time shown on the ticket and ask that an attorney be appointed. The court will appoint one and reset your hearing to a later date.
3) Then do whatever your attorney tells you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">