• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

anti-homeless laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

1voice4all

I hold a non profit organization license (501c3) and I am being told in several cities that I cannot feed nor publicly help any homeless individual. My question is this: with these restrictions, (and my having the license) what legal repercussions do I face for "breaking this law"? Can they take my license? TIA

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I hold a non profit organization license (501c3) and I am being told in several cities that I cannot feed nor publicly help any homeless individual. My question is this: with these restrictions, (and my having the license) what legal repercussions do I face for "breaking this law"? Can they take my license? TIA
That's not a license, that's a tax designation. You break the law, you suffer the consequences. Those consequences are going to depend on the municipality you're in, but since you've neglected to even mention the name of the state, that's about as much as anyone can say. :cool:

Silverplum

You did not give the name of your US state. Each city has its own penalty schedule and laws. You'd need to look up their laws individually.

Revocation of your license is more likely if you mess up the tax laws: http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/nonprofit-lose-tax-exempt-status-32391.html

Feeding and helping the homeless is a noble cause, and I wish you well. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">