• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

any lawyers members of the NRA?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsscheh

What is the name of your state? MN

Hi,
My situation is this: I am an avid hunter, and am wondering if I have FOREVER lost my rights to possess a rifle, because I was convicted of Minnesota Statute 609.72, Subd. 1.

seniorjudge

jsscheh said:

Hi,
My situation is this: I am an avid hunter, and am wondering if I have FOREVER lost my rights to possess a rifle, because I was convicted of Minnesota Statute 609.72, Subd. 1.
Facts and details, please.

Thank you.

jsscheh

facts & details

The statute is disorderly conduct, which happened in a domestic situation. The guidelines I was given upon probation were that anyone convicted of domestic assault can never possess a firearm. I was CONVICTED in court of disorderly conduct....but does that fall under a subdivision of law towards domestic assault in the fifth degree?

seniorjudge

jsscheh said:
The statute is disorderly conduct, which happened in a domestic situation. The guidelines I was given upon probation were that anyone convicted of domestic assault can never possess a firearm. I was CONVICTED in court of disorderly conduct....but does that fall under a subdivision of law towards domestic assault in the fifth degree?
Since you will not give us facts and details (as you did not in the other threads you started), then I doubt that anyone will want to help you.

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=249692

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=243621

gawm

jsscheh said:

Hi,
Don't worry about it. It's not like you have to hunt for your own food. You can go to the grocery store and buy it. Beef taste much better than veinicin anyways.

jsscheh

What more information do you need? Tell me BY LAW...if someone is convicted in court of disorderly conduct, is that considered 5th degree domestic assault? The link you gave me is about people that carry handguns w/ permits...I'm not looking to walk around town w/ a pistol. I just want to be able to hunt.

Heather2

jsscheh said:
What more information do you need? Tell me BY LAW...if someone is convicted in court of disorderly conduct, is that considered 5th degree domestic assault? The link you gave me is about people that carry handguns w/ permits...I'm not looking to walk around town w/ a pistol. I just want to be able to hunt.
How if you were convicted of disorderly conduct would that be domestic assault? Either you were convicted of domestic assault or you weren't.

jsscheh

now this has been helpful

The officer that arrested me (mind you I had never been arrested before) told me that I was being arrested for 5th degree domestic assault (I had to ask him why I was being arrested in the 1st place b/c I was driving to a friends house after an argument w/ a girlfriend, emphasis on "argument" I never hit her, or threatened her) Anyways, i'm driving along then a cop pulls me over....@ the time I was on my cell talking to my friend asking if it's ok I stay @ his place for a night....that's when I was arrests me & tells me 5th degree D.A. I had to ask him what that meant, b/c I didn't quite understand. He told me that it basically meant I raised a ruckus in a household where other people were present. So after sitting in a county jail for a couple of days, a month later I went to court, & that is when they gave me the charge of disorderly conduct. I'm kind of naive to all of this, i'm not a typical "career criminal" familiar w/ the ins & outs of the penal system. I was unable to actually afford my own atty, but the state deemed I had enough income to.So I had to represent myself before a judge.
So in closing, just to verify....What I was ultimately convicted of (which I agreed to because I was deathly afraid of the 1yr sentence they were threatening me with, and incidentally I want to get expunged @ a future date) was NOT 5ht degree domestic assault, & I have not forever lost my right to bear arms?!

Happy Trails

jsscheh said:
The officer that arrested me (mind you I had never been arrested before) told me that I was being arrested for 5th degree domestic assault (I had to ask him why I was being arrested in the 1st place b/c I was driving to a friends house after an argument w/ a girlfriend, emphasis on "argument" I never hit her, or threatened her) Anyways, i'm driving along then a cop pulls me over....@ the time I was on my cell talking to my friend asking if it's ok I stay @ his place for a night....that's when I was arrests me & tells me 5th degree D.A. I had to ask him what that meant, b/c I didn't quite understand. He told me that it basically meant I raised a ruckus in a household where other people were present. So after sitting in a county jail for a couple of days, a month later I went to court, & that is when they gave me the charge of disorderly conduct. I'm kind of naive to all of this, i'm not a typical "career criminal" familiar w/ the ins & outs of the penal system. I was unable to actually afford my own atty, but the state deemed I had enough income to.So I had to represent myself before a judge.
So in closing, just to verify....What I was ultimately convicted of (which I agreed to because I was deathly afraid of the 1yr sentence they were threatening me with, and incidentally I want to get expunged @ a future date) was NOT 5ht degree domestic assault, & I have not forever lost my right to bear arms?!
"IF" you had been convicted of 5th degree domestic assault, the conditions for possessing a firearm would have been the following:

"Domestic assault/Order for protection violation/Stalking/Harassment. A person convicted of domestic assault, an OFP violation, stalking, or harassment may not possess a pistol for three years from the date of conviction. If the person used a firearm in committing the crime, the court may extend the restriction to any type of firearm for a period from three years to life. (Note: under federal law, a person in Minnesota convicted of misdemeanor domestic assault may not possess a firearm unless the conviction has been expunged or a pardon has been granted.)" From site listed below.

You were convicted of Disordery Conduct, that should not have affected your rights to possess a firearm. If the court ordered that you have lost your rights, then there is more to the story.

Read the information at this site thoroughly: http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/hrd/as/83/as028.html

gawm said:
Don't worry about it. It's not like you have to hunt for your own food. You can go to the grocery store and buy it. Beef taste much better than veinicin anyways.
As far as I know Veinicin is not sold in stores...Unless you live in Europe.

http://www.gvi.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=94

Now, if you are talking about Venison,....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venison

.... it is a meat that you can't go to the nearest store and get....but MUST be hunted. It can be prepared numerous ways. Most of which are delicious, IMO. But then again...I come from a family who hunts often.

I agree that beef tastes better. But Venison .....I guess is a delicacy.

OP: As far as you carrying a firearm...I am sure that you have received correct answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">