• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arizona - Driving on a Suspended License

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Suspended

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

While Visiting my Family in Colorado I "bumped" a gentleman's trailer hitch and I was cited for Reckless Driving. I was issued a ticket for the incident.

Fast forward almost 2 years.

I was pulled over for expired plates "Expired in July" Now first few days in September.
When I was asked for my Driver's License and Insurance, I was only able to provide an old insurance card as my wife had the new one. When he went to run my License he found that I had a Suspended drivers license due to failure to pay my ticket from Colorado.

I was cited for the Following:
1: No Proof of Insurance. "Civil"
2: Expired Plates. "Civil"
3: Driving on a Suspended License. "Criminal"

I've never been in trouble with the law and I was extremely humbled when I was asked to step out of my car and was placed in handcuffs. I was let go after processing and I was given a court date.

My question is this. I've now paid my fine in Colorado and they removed the warrant. I've renewed the plates on my car. And I now have an up to date copy of my insurance.

Do I have to worry about going to jail for my offense? Do I need a Lawyer?

I've done a little reading of Arizona law and it looks like for a first time offense of driving on a suspended license "28-3473. Driving violations; classification" due to " 28-1601. Failure to pay civil penalty; suspension of privilege to drive; collection procedure" that the judge will impose a fine of at least $50. And may suspend my license for longer. But I am not 100% sure I am reading it correctly. Which is why I am here on these forums.

Let me know what advice you can offer. I would really appreciate it.

Thank you,
Suspended

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">