• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arrested for Shoplifting/Burglary. Looking for any advice/help.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chadwells

I was at the mall and stole from 3 different stores. I live in California and the law here is that if you steal over $400 worth of items it becomes a felony. Well that's what I did and I was charged with a felony and arrested. I am 20 years old, a good kid, I'm in college and this is not something I've ever done before. My criminal record is completely clean, I haven't had any problems with the law before this.

Since I went to three different places and stole I believe I was charged with Burglary.
I cooperated with the cop and I was released from jail the night I was put in.

I was wondering if anyone knows what will happen to me. I've talked to some people who say that i'll only have probation for some years, pay fines and do community service, but I won't have to go to jail. Others have said that I should prepare for jailtime.

I'm going to hire a lawyer as soon as I can and hope that I can get this sorted out. I feel terrible for all of this.

If anyone could help me by giving me any advice on things I could do to minimize my sentence and keep me out of jail that would be great.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">