• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

arrested for tampering with Gov Document.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CristalMA

What is the name of your state? Texas

My husband was driving in west university a city within houston and was stopped for registration. He gave the officer his license and insurance but accidentally gave him the outdated insurance(forgot to renew). He also informed the officer that he was licensed to conceal and had weapons in the car. He was removed from the car and his info reviewed. The officer then came back and handcuffed him placing he was under arrest but did not read him his rights or inform him of why he was being arrested. My husband refused to go though he was handcuffed untill his rights were read and he was informed of why he was being arrested.

They charged him with Tampering with a government Document (insurance) but the document had not been modified in any way. The insurance giiven was the original document recieved from the insurance company. We're currently trying to get a copy of tha document from the insurance company for fridays court date. Shouldn't that be thrown out??? Is that wrongful arrest??? how can we solve this matter or plead down to no insurance which is what it shouldv'e been. isn't that a ticket?

seniorjudge

CristalMA said:

My husband was driving in west university a city within houston and was stopped for registration. He gave the officer his license and insurance but accidentally gave him the outdated insurance(forgot to renew). He also informed the officer that he was licensed to conceal and had weapons in the car. He was removed from the car and his info reviewed. The officer then came back and handcuffed him placing he was under arrest but did not read him his rights or inform him of why he was being arrested. My husband refused to go though he was handcuffed untill his rights were read and he was informed of why he was being arrested.

They charged him with Tampering with a government Document (insurance) but the document had not been modified in any way. The insurance giiven was the original document recieved from the insurance company. We're currently trying to get a copy of tha document from the insurance company for fridays court date. Shouldn't that be thrown out??? Is that wrongful arrest??? how can we solve this matter or plead down to no insurance which is what it shouldv'e been. isn't that a ticket?

My husband refused to go though he was handcuffed untill his rights were read and he was informed of why he was being arrested.

According to your post, your husband is guilty of resisting arrest.

He is in deep trouble.

Hire a lawyer.

racer72

Tell your husband to quit watching police shows on TV. The police DO NOT have to read him his rights at the time of arrest, Miranda is only required prior to questioning. Your husbands ignorance of the law is going to cost him. Do as suggested, he needs an attorney.

AHA

CristalMA said:

Hubby needs to stop playing illegal alien and get CURRENT and VALID insurance. If he had run into my car, I would have sued his *ss off.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">