• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arson?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Arby

Oklahoma

My 14 yr old son was caught playing with matches at school. He was suspended for a week and I was blackmailed into taking him to a "first offender" program before he would be allowed to attend school again. For the record, this was just a stupid stunt on his part, he has no pyromaniacal tendancies. He was playing with matches at his desk in a classroom full of kids and a teacher, not trying to covertly burn the building down. At any rate, upon reviewing the school handbook, school board policies and talking to the Supt, there is no written provision for them to assign him to a program that is not a franchised extension of the educational system. I was informed "we have always done this when there was a criminal offense committed" The question is, was there a criminal offense committed here? I was under the impression that arson implied intent to do harm to either people or property? How come every student that lights a cigarette at school isn't treated like this? There was no intent here, just a stupid adolescent stunt.

I don't expect anybody to do research for me, but I'd appreciate it if somebody could direct me to a site where I could look up the legal definition of arson for myself.

R

Ray H

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Arby:

He was playing with matches at his desk in a classroom full of kids and a teacher, not trying to covertly burn the building down.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you for sharing your concerns. Perhaps it would be appropriate if you took the time look at the issue from the school's standpoint. The teacher and the administrators had NO way of knowing what your kid's intent was. With a room full of other adolescents, they were in no position to take any chances either - especially with all the easily flammable objects in a school classroom. A panic could have had catastrophic results. Your son will hopefully come away from this experience with a better sense of responsible behavior. In some cultures age 14 is considered moral adulthood. And, YOU should be giving thanks that the school isn't pressing the matter further. I realize this isn't what you want to hear, but, tough.

I am NOT a lawyer - just a parent. You are not my client - just a whiney stranger. Have a good day.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">