• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arson 3-rd degree

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shuurik

What is the name of your state? KY

513.040 Arson in the third degree, KY statute states:
A person guilty of arson in the third degree if he wantonly causes destruction or damage to a building of his own or of another by intentionally starting a fire or causing an explosion.

In this definition, does a melted surface of a bathtub constitutes damage to a building? The damage was on a plastic tub (thought it was ceramic in the first place) and the total repair of resurfacing costed $304.00.

The person is charged with Arson in 3-rd degree for burning papers in the tub.

Thanks a lot,

HomeGuru

shuurik said:
What is the name of your state? KY

A person guilty of arson in the third degree if he wantonly causes destruction or damage to a building of his own or of another by intentionally starting a fire or causing an explosion.

In this definition, does a melted surface of a bathtub constitutes damage to a building? The damage was on a plastic tub (thought it was ceramic in the first place) and the total repair of resurfacing costed $304.00.

The person is charged with Arson in 3-rd degree for burning papers in the tub.

Thanks a lot,

**A: yes it does since a tub is considered a fixture appurtenant to the building. Especially if the tub was not filled with water at the time of the fire.

Last edited:

seniorjudge

In this definition, does a melted surface of a bathtub constitutes damage to a building?

I agree; sounds like a good charge to me.

shuurik

i am just trying to find out if one action with two different outcomes would be charged differently or not. It's the action that needs to be looked at, not the outcome.

seniorjudge

shuurik said:
i am just trying to find out if one action with two different outcomes would be charged differently or not. It's the action that needs to be looked at, not the outcome.
No, it's the outcome (according to what you posted).

HomeGuru

shuurik said:

**A: ok, then finish up your homework and run along..........

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">