• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Assault and Battery against sister. Gun rights and Lautenberg.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave1952

If you had shared a household with your sister then according to law you can't have federal approval. This confuses me since most folks have, at some time, shared a household with their siblings. I'd recommend asking a lawyer.

Helpmepleas

If you had shared a household with your sister then according to law you can't have federal approval. This confuses me since most folks have, at some time, shared a household with their siblings. I'd recommend asking a lawyer.
This is from a Navy recruiter and how it affects recruiting in regard to the Lautenberg Amendment. ALL DV convictions bar an applicant from joining the military.

Rule: The crime of domestic violence means any crime which includes the attempt or use of physical force or the threat of use of a deadly weapon, where you (the perpetrator) are the: current or former spouse, parent or guardian of the victim; or you and victim are parents of a child; or you cohabitated with the victim as a spouse, parent or guardian; or you were serving in a role similar to spouse, parent or guardian of the victim.

Last edited:

Helpmepleas

Misdemeanor Crimes of Domestic Abuse - The Lautenberg Amendment

A Federal law imposes a lifetime gun possession ban on people convicted of what is labeled a "misdemeanor crime of domestic violence." That law is explained to US Attorneys in this fact sheet: Criminal Resource Manual on Misdemeanor Crimes of Domestic Violence. Specifically:

1.It only applies to misdemeanor crimes. There is already a firearms restriction for those convicted of felonies.
2.No specific crimes are listed because this covers all states.
3.No one has to have been injured but the charged misdemeanor must have, as an element, the use or attempted use of physical force, or the threatened use of a deadly weapon.
4.Adult siblings are not covered.
5.A crime committed by an adult child against a parent is not covered.
6.The crime must involve two people.
7.A crime committed by one roommate against another is not covered, unless they were involved in a sexual or romantic relationship.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Helpmeplease, interesting list on the lautenburg. Can you provide a source?
It appears to me that he stole...err...used the list from this page (without attribution): http://addbalance.com/gun_rights_misdemeanor_domestic_violence.htm

FlyingRon

What is commonly called the "Lautenberg Amendment" is codified in 18 USC where most of the federally disqualifying circumstances are.
Specifically, the definition of domestic violence is defined in 18 USC 921(a)(33)

(33)
(A) Except as provided in subparagraph (C),[2] the term “misdemeanor crime of domestic violence” means an offense that—
(i) is a misdemeanor under Federal, State, or Tribal [3] law; and
(ii) has, as an element, the use or attempted use of physical force, or the threatened use of a deadly weapon, committed by a current or former spouse, parent, or guardian of the victim, by a person with whom the victim shares a child in common, by a person who is cohabiting with or has cohabited with the victim as a spouse, parent, or guardian, or by a person similarly situated to a spouse, parent, or guardian of the victim.

18 USC 922 (g)(9) then uses this definition.

Last edited:

Helpmepleas

What is commonly called the "Lautenberg Amendment" is codified in 18 USC where most of the federally disqualifying circumstances are.
Specifically, the definition of domestic violence is defined in 18 USC 921(a)(33)

(33)
(A) Except as provided in subparagraph (C),[2] the term “misdemeanor crime of domestic violence” means an offense that—
(i) is a misdemeanor under Federal, State, or Tribal [3] law; and
(ii) has, as an element, the use or attempted use of physical force, or the threatened use of a deadly weapon, committed by a current or former spouse, parent, or guardian of the victim, by a person with whom the victim shares a child in common, by a person who is cohabiting with or has cohabited with the victim as a spouse, parent, or guardian, or by a person similarly situated to a spouse, parent, or guardian of the victim.
All of which means I am not federally banned because the "crime" was committed against my sister.

FlyingRon

All of which means I am not federally banned because the "crime" was committed against my sister.
This is correct. Federally, you must it must meet one of those relationship tests. The Michigan rule would cover you if you were in the same household, but as you note, after eight years, it doesn't apply anymore.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Of course not especially when all I did was shove her.
Sure - because who would consider a shove to be assault & battery, right? :rolleyes:

BTW I'm a woman too.
When the signatures worked on this forum (for me), I had a note stating (I'm paraphrasing) that the gender pronouns were used for convenience only and that the advice applies regardless of the gender of the folks involved.

In other words, I don't really care if you're a man or a woman, my answers don't change.

Helpmepleas

Sure - because who would consider a shove to be assault & battery, right? :rolleyes:

When the signatures worked on this forum (for me), I had a note stating (I'm paraphrasing) that the gender pronouns were used for convenience only and that the advice applies regardless of the gender of the folks involved.

In other words, I don't really care if you're a man or a woman, my answers don't change.
Neither do mine, and I don't give a damn what you think or object to. Have a great day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">