• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Assault Charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

womanpower

Hi, I am writing from the State of Louisiana. I have a very good friend (we used to date years ago), who has a felony assault charge against him. He hit a man in the back of the head with a beer bottle. He goes to Court soon. Will he be given jail time, do you think? He cannot afford a lawyer, and does not want a court appointed lawyer. He is very angry at himself for doing this terrible thing to this man, and feels like he deserves to go to jail, I guess. The DA is pressing the charges. Seems my friend and the man he hit have made up and are now friends once again (which I really don't understand) but................

I don't think he has any other type of criminal record.

Thanks.

C

CombatTN88

womanpower said:
Hi, I am writing from the State of Louisiana. I have a very good friend (we used to date years ago), who has a felony assault charge against him. He hit a man in the back of the head with a beer bottle. He goes to Court soon. Will he be given jail time, do you think? He cannot afford a lawyer, and does not want a court appointed lawyer. He is very angry at himself for doing this terrible thing to this man, and feels like he deserves to go to jail, I guess. The DA is pressing the charges. Seems my friend and the man he hit have made up and are now friends once again (which I really don't understand) but................

I don't think he has any other type of criminal record.

Thanks.
Your friend could be looking up 5 years in prison for felony aggravated assault. It doesn't matter if your friend and that victim made up since the DA is still eligable to prosecute.

If the DA still won't drop this matter, try to ask for plea deal to hammer down to misdemeaour simple assault which he could get light sentence like probation or fines.

If your friend can't afford to get a lawyer, the best bet is to get court appointed lawyer. It is not a good idea to represent himself since the DA might screw him up.

My advice is to get a LAWYER to do that.

Good Luck, Combat

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">