• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Assault Charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SimplySasha123

State: Ohio

Hi,

I was punched in the face while driving and pulled over due to my nose bleeding. A person stopped and called the cops and EMS. The person admitted to assaulting me to the witness and they took me to the hospital where a cop met me and gathered the details. I told him that I did not want to press charges and I refused treatment at the hospital and walked out; however, they are still trying to prosecute the person. Can the police prosecute on my behalf? What's the next thing I should do because I did not want for any of this to happen.

Thank you.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Hi,

I was punched in the face while driving and pulled over due to my nose bleeding. A person stopped and called the cops and EMS. The person admitted to assaulting me to the witness and they took me to the hospital where a cop met me and gathered the details. I told him that I did not want to press charges and I refused treatment at the hospital and walked out; however, they are still trying to prosecute the person. Can the police prosecute on my behalf? What's the next thing I should do because I did not want for any of this to happen.

Thank you.
The police do not need your permission nor does the prosecutor to prosecute someone who commits a crime.

Just Blue

Hi,

Thank you.

Was this your boyfriend that assaulted you?

TigerD

1. The police don't prosecute - the prosecuting attorney or district attorney does.
2. You can make a written request to the prosecutor to ask them to not prosecute.
3. They can prosecute anyway and make you take the stand to tell what happened.

My aside:
1. Getting punched in the face is not acceptable or normal.
2. As a human being you are worth more than that.
3. Few battered women want to prosecute their significant others until they are severely beaten, maimed or their children are harmed. If not standing up for you, stand up for the next person who could be harmed by a continuation of this behavior.
4. If you don't stop it, it will not stop. And it will get worse.

TD

commentator

It is entirely possible that the prosecutor will see it as that when he/she struck the operator of a moving vehicle in the face with sufficient force to cause her nose to bleed, he might very well have caused her to wreck the car, or swerve into the path of an oncoming car, maybe killing or injuring other innocent drivers. Its not so much about your decision 'not to press charges' because you love him/or her and he/she says they are sorry and you understand and forgive them(gag!) It's more about how this person is an idiot who endangered the public while he was beating someone. It may be your boyfriend, your mother, your teenage son, whoever it was acted very unwisely.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">