• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

assault with a dangerous weapon-felonious assault

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

steve_tcCounty

What is the name of your state? MI
I was charged and convicted of felonious assault(dangerous weapon) for pointing a TIRE IRON and someone standing 20 feet away.......in your(ANYBODY) opinion, would that be considered assault...
I got into an argument with my BEST friend(at the time), and he decided to turn me in because he was AFRAID..........but all young men fight, so something stupid that happened got me a felony........if someone would have pulled a weapon on me, the last thing I would do is turn him in, I would make him feel SORRY for EVER threatening me....
Oh ya, I heard felonies and misdimeanors have different classes based on the crime.....
if true, what class is assault with a dangerous weapon in?

CdwJava

You say it was 20 feet ... what does HE say about the distance? In my state that would likely be considered brandishing a weapon - this may be a similar charge in your state and they simply call it "assault". I does not matter what they CALL the crime, what matters is the specific code section you are charged with because that will tell you what the elements of the offense are going to be.

If you pulled a tire iron on me during an argument, I'd be afraid, too! In fact, I'd trump your tire iron with a gun. 20 feet is NOT all that far! And a tire iron can kill. Oh, and I would likely turn him in.

If you know the code section you are accused of violating, we can tell you what the class of crime is and the likely penalty.

- Carl

Shay-Pari'e

Carl, after reading this guy's other post's, I see that he has a lot of issues with the law.

Mary closed the other thread, before I could say, "Love you too Hun". Thankyou for your support on that thread.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Carl, this idiot's post is moot. His first sentence reads, "I was charged and convicted . . ." (italics added)

By the way Paridise, get a hotel room . . . so that I can watch!

IAAL

Shay-Pari'e

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

Carl, this idiot's post is moot. His first sentence reads, "I was charged and convicted . . ." (italics added)

By the way Paridise, get a hotel room . . . so that I can watch!

IAAL
Nah, sorry. We love as friends. Carl is a great guy with a great family. Besides, you only wanted to watch, who would spend money just for you to watch hun? ;)

CdwJava

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

Yeah, I read that but forgot about it between the time I read and the time i replied ... that's the problem with working late - I get distracted doing cop stuff.

- Carl

steve_tcCounty

your right, If someone pulled a tire iron on me, the gun would be a good Idea....
to be honest with ya PARADISE....ya I have had run a few run ins with the law.....but you dont have to be a **** about it......I got arrested, put on probation, and violated probation, spent only 30 days for it, now I am getting my life back AGAIN........ I RESPECT the law and no that jail isnt fun, so I dont plan on going back..........

oh ya carl, how do I find the CODE SECTION of the crime? it was a four year felony does that help?
one more question, I heard your felony can get expunged after the time the max penalty holds, so in my case, can I get it expunged in four years??????
thanx for the help.

CdwJava

steve_tcCounty said:
oh ya carl, how do I find the CODE SECTION of the crime? it was a four year felony does that help?
No, it doesn't. There are any number of felonies that can add up to four years or more for a host of reasons. And since you are in Michigan, I couldn't even hazard a guess.

one more question, I heard your felony can get expunged after the time the max penalty holds, so in my case, can I get it expunged in four years??????
I couldn't find a definitive answer on how (or IF) you could expunge this in a cursory search on-line. You can either do an online search of your own, or, contact an attorney. Expunging felonies is difficult if not impossible, so I wouldn't hold my breath for that to happen.

- Carl

michsisu

Originally Posted by steve_tcCounty
Mr. Steve,

Google Michigan OTIS (Offender Tracking Information System)
Enter your name and other personal information.
You can read all about your felonies there. You can even read up on the conditions of your probation, just in case you forget.

If you have a credit card, for $10 you can read about yourself on the Michigan State Police iCHAT site.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">