• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

assault/harassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kryckit

What is the name of your state? Alabama

about six weeks ago on saturday morning, i was awakened by my husband’s cousin beating on our back door. he asked if my husband was there and i said no. he proceeded to tell me how he thought my husband had “ripped him off” and how he owed him this and that from a business that they had been involved in. i told him that i knew nothing of their agreement or dealings
together and that he should just leave and i would have my husband call him when he came home. he kept making accusations against my husband, getting louder and cursing at me. i told him at least three times to just shut up and leave and i would have my husband call him. he finally left.

a short time later my husband returned home and i had just finished telling him what had happened, when the cousin returned and started beating on the door again. i was very upset that he had came back to our house after being told to leave. i went to the door and asked if he had come back to “cuss me some more”. he said he wanted to talk to my husband and i told him he would be right out, but that i had something to say to him about the way he had acted towards me earlier. he told me that i didn’t have a GD thing to say to him and to get my ass back in the house. he yelled and cursed at me, i yelled and cursed at him, my husband tried to diffuse the situation, but it just escalated.

he began waving his hand and pointing his finger in my face, i held up my hand and told him to shut up. he slapped my hand down, telling me not to put my hand in his face. i was so upset by this time, that i sat down on the porch railing and we continued to argue. he stepped towards me, pointing his finger at me and called me a “lying bitch”, i jumped up to push him away, my husband grabbed me around the waist to keep us apart. the cousin grabbed my upper arms, and started pushing me around, i kicked him in the stomach and he shoved me down. my husband’s knee was seriously injured in all this (possible torn ACL).

i went to sheriff’s dept. the next day and filled out a report, but did not follow through with a warrant. two weeks later, I was arrested for “harassment”.

since the incident, the cousin has been to where my husband subcontracts work from telling lies at least three times. a few days after the altercation, he and his wife drove around where i work several times and parked in front of where i work twice.

i obtained a copy of the complaint he filed, and about the only truth in it was about me kicking him in the stomach. everything else in it is lies. he of course left out the fact that he had been to my house earlier that day and was told to leave, and that he hit me and had me by the arms when i kicked him. i took pictures of the bruises on my arms about six days after this all happened.

i realize that this is a very long story and makes everyone involved look incredibly stupid, but i need some serious advice. due to the fact that my husband has not been able to work for six weeks and we have incurred about $3000.00 in medical bills from this, i just cannot afford an attorney to defend me on this. i don’t even know what happens at the first court appearance (which is just a few days away) or after that. what should i expect? any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jeter

Here's some advice: See if you have enough money left to buy your husband a pair of balls.

Ok, now someone give her real answer. My NY ego has clouded my thoughts.

JETX

"i just cannot afford an attorney to defend me on this."
*** Simple answer. Plead not guity and request a public defender.

K

kryckit

will the state appoint a public defender in this type of charge? a friend told me that he thought they would only do that in a felony case or a case where the punishment could be serious jail time. of course this friend is not an attorney, either.

JETX

As long as this is a criminal charge AND depending on your true ability to pay, a public defender could be provided.

JETX

Nah, we just stopped the Hogs bus at the state line and gave citations to all the players on board.... seems the Texas legislature had passed a 'special' law for the Hogs when they came to Texas. They were ticketed for lowering the average IQ in Texas by 50 points!

stephenk

So did your hubby rip off his cousin? You know if he did or didnt. I doubt your hubby can do anything without you knowing about it.

Your hubby may have torn his ACL by trying to prevent you from fighting with his cousin? The court may look at you as the aggressor since you were the one having to be restrained.

You will need to provide financial information to the court to show that you are unable to afford an attorney. If "harassment" is the charge, you may just be facing a fine and no jail time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">