• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

assault inquiry

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

1goodfriend

What is the name of your state? New York

My best friend has been arrested for second degee assault which I understand is a class d felony. The situation is that while home sleeping his girlfriend's boy hurt himself pretty severly. His mother works an overnight shift and around 2:00 am my friend woke up to a loud thud in the kitchen of his home. He went out to investigate and found the child unconscious on the floor next to an over turned chair. He called for an ambulance but the doctors felt that he had done something to the child and informed the authorities.
The kid is on life support and looking pretty grotesque. The doctors won't operate while he is on life support. My last information on the matter is that they were going to remove him from life support and monitor him to see if they could operate.
The child was also involved in a car accident within the last month when they hit a deer and banged his head pretty good at that point in time.

My questions are as follow:
From my own research I figure they are going after him for Penal Law 120.05 [8] which is second degree assault on a child < 7 years of age. From what I have been able to see the sentencing could be anywhere from 3- 7 years in prison, is that accurate?

If the child, God forbid, does not survive what other charges could be brought against my best friend?

What is an average lawyer's fee for handling this type of case?

I thank you in advance for any information you can give me.

H

hexeliebe

If the child, God forbid, does not survive what other charges could be brought against my best friend?
Have you heard of Murder?

JETX

From my own research I figure they are going after him for Penal Law 120.05 [8] which is second degree assault on a child < 7 years of age. From what I have been able to see the sentencing could be anywhere from 3- 7 years in prison, is that accurate?"
*** No. And since we don't know if this child is going to die as a result of your 'friends' conduct, any speculation on punishment without even knowing the EXACT charges is speculative at best. Presume that if he is charged and found guilty, the punishment will (hopefully) be very severe.

"If the child, God forbid, does not survive what other charges could be brought against my best friend?"
*** Anything from assault ranging up to murder.

"What is an average lawyer's fee for handling this type of case?"
*** Again, without knowing what TYPE of case...... figure in excess of $30,000 and go up from there.

1goodfriend

Hexel.
Gee thanks for the reply A** I never would have considred murder. You got anything more specific details like 1st degree/2nd degree etc.. or are you just auditioning for the role of captain obvious.

Last edited:
H

hexeliebe

Let's see, two 'accidents' in two months.

Now, can you do the math?

As Jet told you, HOPEFULLY the child won't die. And HOPEFULLY, your friend will never be allowed around children again.

Just pray when he is sent to prison the guards don't tell the general population what he's in for. Prisoners don't much like people who abuse or murder children.

get my drift?

R

Ramoth

Based on the information you posted, no one here can make an educated guess as to exactly what charges will or may be filed against your friend. We don't have ESP, we don't have all the facts, we don't know if the County Prosecuter needs to make an example of someone so he can get re-elected, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">