• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Assault IV for self defense. Any rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rockhound

A good deed gone bad. I was arrested in portland oregon for assault IV DV (domestic violence) as the other party is my step brother. my wife was able to bail me out that evening and the next day I appeared at the arraignment where i was released because no claim had been filed at that point. i just recieved a warrent for my arrest in the mail, this is a month later. i went to the court house and had to schedule another arraignment. where does it end? for the record I have no prior offenses, the other party has a history of domestic violence. I myself have been assaulted by him in the past but i didn't report anything. on the day i was arrested he had pushed me several times and i in fear of my own safety hit him one time, not hard, just enough to get him to back off. All in front of a witness and is in the police report. The officer said he had to take someone and because i hit, it had to be me. What is going to happen now? do i need an attorney? Am I automatically at fault because i protected myself? Is pushing someone around not assault? Please help! :confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">