• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Assault? or not?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ajayb

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN
I was at a local event on Saturday and my neighbor, who is also my sister-in-law, screamed at my 10 year old son scaring the crap out of him. What happened was her daughter and daugther's friend were on the bumper cars the same time as my boys were. My son said the daughter started calling him a loser so he held his hand up making an "L" on his forhead for "loser" back.

The mom saw this and screamed at him so loud that he came off the bumper cars CRYING and begging to go home...saying that he was scared.

I found my husband and told him to talk to her and take care of it. He is a wimp and I knew he wouldn't.

Anyway - when I walked by her later, I mumbled "b87tch" under my breath and she turned around and grabbed for my arm but got my shirt, twisting and ripping it as she pulled me close to her, and said "WHAT WAS THAT?" She did let go and we argued about what had happened.

Is this assault? Can I do ANYTHING about this? Also later that day her daughter shoulder slammed my 7 year old knocking him to the ground. We didn't know this until the ride home when I was discussing the other incident with my husband.

I did call the police and was told that I instigated it but I have been told by friends that mine was only verbal and that she "upped" it by assaulting me physically. They said she could have screamed anything in the book at me but since she attacked me physically..I should call the police again and file charges.

I would like to...and to also get money for the shirt she ripped...which I was told by police I have to take up in civil court.

Can anyone help me on this?

Ajay

outonbail

I found my husband and told him to talk to her and take care of it. He is a wimp and I knew he wouldn't.
You should try to refrain from posting such unflattering comments about him,,, after all, he's the one who will be accepting your collect phone calls and coming up with your bail money in the near future!

ajayb

So I should just continue to let this lady and her kids treat my kids the way they do?

NICE GROUP OF PEOPLE YOU GUYS ARE.... YOu know NOTHIN!

Just another note...their dog came over onto our yard and bit my husband in the leg while he was riding a scooter down our shared driveway. Took a BIG chunk out of my husbands leg...and..he is a wimp because he didn't contact the police, didn't make them pay any of the doctor bills, etc. Good thing my son was sitting on the other side because it would have been HIS leg chomped on...

THESE PEOPLE ARE MEAN!!!!!

I won't have to see her at any family functions...cuz I can't stand to be around her so I don't go.

This isn't a LEGAL advice forum...but an OPINION/HARRASSMENT FORUM.

ajayb

SHE started it by SCREAMING at my son to the point of scaring the SH(T out of him...when HER DAUGHTER started it.

SHE has the anger problem. I would never scream at another child....NEVER.

I would take it up with the parent...NOT THE CHILD.

outonbail

Just another note...their dog came over onto our yard and bit my husband in the leg while he was riding a scooter down our shared driveway. Took a BIG chunk out of my husbands leg...and..he is a wimp because he didn't contact the police, didn't make them pay any of the doctor bills, etc.
This I assume is your husband's sister correct?

Because if my sisters dog bit me, I wouldn't be contacting the police or forcing any doctor bills down her throat either. Because she's my sister!

I may bite the dog right back, but that's just me.

As far as your sister in law screaming at your son. Why, at the time you were witnessing this evil witch screaming at your son, didn't you approach her like an adult and tell her you would prefer it if from then on, she would not scream at your son, but let you know if your son was doing something she didn't approve of so you could take the appropriate action?

Wouldn't this have been the adult way of handling the situation, rather than tossing the Bi_ch word around minutes later?

You are at the least, equally responsible for this family feud as she is. So rather than keep adding fuel to the fire, why don't you try to be a good roll model for your children and bury the ax between the two of you?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">