• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Assault - statute of limitations, how much proof is required?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pmlance

I'm in Ohio.

Last year, I attended a Halloween party in the home of my best friend. My friend's live-in boyfriend became intoxicated and started pushing my friend around. I tried to intervene, and he pushed me down several times, causing me to hit my head and back on furniture (I sought medical attention the next day).

When the police arrived, I requested that they take him to jail and stated that I wanted to file assault charges. Instead of arresting him, they allowed him to leave the house with two of his friends who promised to keep him away until he sobered up.

The next day, my friend and her boyfriend apologized and we agreed that if he would get treatment for anger management and alcohol abuse, I would not press charges. They were making a diligent effort to get him help when he lost his job (and insurance) the next week.

He found a job several months later, but had to wait two more months for insurance coverage to begin. In the interim, my friend and I had a major falling out and we no longer speak. I've heard through the grapevine that the boyfriend continues to be abusive. I've also heard that my friend is now pregnant.

Even though we no longer speak, I'm worried about the safety of my friend and her baby. I'm planning to go ahead and file the assault charges because he'll be required by the court to get anger and alcohol counseling.

Finally - my questions:
- How can I find out what the statute of limitations is for assault charges in Ohio?
- What proof do I need to present to the police? I can get witness statements and hospital records, and the police should have records of the 911 call and responding to the house. Is there anything else I would need?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">