• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Assaulting a Minor??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LegallyNsane

What is the name of your state? California

I'm 16 and play on a highschool hockey team. Our game ended up in a bench-clearing brawl with fights...but while i was on top of another kid fighting, the coach of the other team (40 years old?) grabbed me by the neck with both hands and yanked me off and slammed my back to the floor....The rink i play at is suspending me for 3 games for getting in a fight but refuses to punish the coach of the other team. Is there anything legally i can do about this? Whats the law say about a 40 year old strangling a 16 year old who wasn't even fighting back? How much possible jail time can he face....can i even sue or press charges?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

H

hexeliebe

Yes there is something you can do about this. GROW UP!

First you say the coach pulled you off the other kid and slammed your back to the floor...

Then you say he choked you.

Hell, you're lucky the other kid doesn't file charges against you for assault.

L

LegallyNsane

what? Ok, first off...you dont need to jump to conclusions. I was not the one that instigated the fight or the entire brawl for that matter. I was drawn into the fight by getting shoved into the pile by the other team. And another thing, the way i was grabbed and slammed to the floor was no friendly touch, if you've ever been grabbed by two hands on the neck and yanked some odd feet backwards and slammed to the ground, you'd describe it as being "strangled" also. Its a hockey game, when tempers flare, this stuff happens...but it should be left between the kids....when a 40 year old coach jumps onto the rink and assaults me, thats when things change.....any LEGITIMATE help would be appreciated..

H

hexeliebe

Its a hockey game, when tempers flare, this stuff happens
You answered your own question.

As for the age of the participants, forget it. This was no more an assault than your participation.

But you're welcome to other opinions. And more Whine time.

L

LegallyNsane

Hey, why dont you grow up and try to be a little more polite in your responses....this is an advice forum..do you have to be so condescending in all of your replies..your insults aren't appreciated.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

What the coach did was perfectly reasonable under the circumstances. Since you, and the others were involved in a brawl, he had every right to break it up.

This becomes especially true when you admit, "Its a hockey game, when tempers flare, this stuff happens." [Knight v. Jewett (1992) 3 Cal.4th 296, 11 Cal.Rptr.2d 2]

You "accepted the risk" when you're involved in a brawl. You knew that brawling was unacceptable, and you could have immediately walked away or extricated yourself from the mêlée. But, you stayed in it long enough for the coach to come over there and pull you off.

IAAL

H

hexeliebe

Hell Stepenk, and here I thought he was just a hockey player who spent a little too much time as a crash test dummie :D

your insults aren't appreciated.
aw now, I appreciate them.

this is an advice forum..do you have to be so condescending in all of your replies
Well, let's see now. You get in a fight at a hockey game and a coach pulls you off. You don't like the way he handled you although the coach has rubber sole shoes and probably nothing more than slacks and a shirt on. While you and your other cohorts are sporting everything from pads and hard plastic shields to hockey sticks and padded gloves.

Yep, seems like you were treated sooooo badly.

You're lucky a buddy of mine Phil Bourque wasn't there coaching. You'd have gotten a bloody lip and a few black eyes off the three Stanley Cup rings on his left hand and a boot up your ass just for good measure.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">