• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Assualt, Possible Hate Crime

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

famtrecrew

From California,

I may be facing possible assualt charges. This is what happened.. I got in a fight with a drunk guy at a party and now he is trying to press charges. Because he is middle eastern his parents are trying to make it a hate crime. He is 22 and I am 19, he was drunk and I was sober, and it was at a a private party location and he was asked to leave before the fight started. Now my question is ... The police keep calling me and my family trying to get a statment from me but I refuse to give one. The police are trying to make me feel like I will be in more trouble if I do not give a statment, What is the general opinion on this? I think they need my statment to move forward on trying to prosecute me... I do not believe there is enough evidence to put a warrent out for my arrest. This happened over 2 months ago. It seems to me they would have made the initial arrest already if they were going to do anything at all. Please, any advice would be greatly apreaciated.

-Nervous

HomeGuru

famtrecrew said:
From California,

I may be facing possible assualt charges. This is what happened.. I got in a fight with a drunk guy at a party and now he is trying to press charges. Because he is middle eastern his parents are trying to make it a hate crime. He is 22 and I am 19, he was drunk and I was sober, and it was at a a private party location and he was asked to leave before the fight started. Now my question is ... The police keep calling me and my family trying to get a statment from me but I refuse to give one. The police are trying to make me feel like I will be in more trouble if I do not give a statment, What is the general opinion on this? I think they need my statment to move forward on trying to prosecute me... I do not believe there is enough evidence to put a warrent out for my arrest. This happened over 2 months ago. It seems to me they would have made the initial arrest already if they were going to do anything at all. Please, any advice would be greatly apreaciated.

-Nervous
**A: please explain exactly how the fight started, what you did and what the injuries suffered by the victim was.

Last edited:
F

famtrecrew

The fight started when the guy ( i will call john) was very drunk and harrasing a bunch of girls at a party at my sisters house. My friend asked him to leave and he got very offensive and started to act as if he was going to get violent with my friend so I took over and hit him once. Then he was repeativly told to leave and got aggressive, at which time John swung at me so i hit him again and he ran out the front door. I chased him outside and he was running away and screaming " You f**king white trash". That is all.

I am just afraid to give the police a statment because it may limit my defense if they end up taking it to court.

John's statment said that he was sleeping and my friend and I just started to kick him and hit him for no reason while we were screaming racial slurs at him.

This is untrue and I am also very sure that he suffered very minor injurys, at worst a bruise or two.. I saw no blood shed in the fight. I want to also stress that John was asked to leave repeatadly before he ever got hit. Also, my record is 100% clean, not even a speeding ticket.

-Nervous

HomeGuru

famtrecrew said:
The fight started when the guy ( i will call john) was very drunk and harrasing a bunch of girls at a party at my sisters house. My friend asked him to leave and he got very offensive and started to act as if he was going to get violent with my friend so I took over and hit him once. Then he was repeativly told to leave and got aggressive, at which time John swung at me so i hit him again and he ran out the front door. I chased him outside and he was running away and screaming " You f**king white trash". That is all.

I am just afraid to give the police a statment because it may limit my defense if they end up taking it to court.

John's statment said that he was sleeping and my friend and I just started to kick him and hit him for no reason while we were screaming racial slurs at him.

This is untrue and I am also very sure that he suffered very minor injurys, at worst a bruise or two.. I saw no blood shed in the fight. I want to also stress that John was asked to leave repeatadly before he ever got hit. Also, my record is 100% clean, not even a speeding ticket.

-Nervous
**A: at the time of the incident, why did you not call the police before taking physical action? And the longer you go without talking to the police, the more they think you are guilty.

F

famtrecrew

I see your point, however my lawyer told me not to talk to the police and do not say anything, because he thinks there is lack of evidence. It is just one guys word against mine with no other witnesses but I could produce up to 5 more witnesses on my side.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">