• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Attempt to return a fake golf club. Reprocussions?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

subaru41

UTAH

I bought a golf club off of ebay for $150 which turned out to be a fake. the shaft was real but the head, and cover was fake. I did all I could but was out of luck and I was stuck with a fake golf club and out $150.
I was so frustrated, that a bad idea came to my head. This all happened 2 days ago on Friday, 10-22. I went to a local golf shop in Utah at there main location and bought the club which was $245 including tax with my debit card. I then switch the tags and put them on the fake club and went to there second location, and tried to return the club. the guy looked at the club and notice the head cover looked a little different. He then looked at the club and asked me if this was the club that they sold me. I said yes, and another guy came up and looked at the club. They both noticed that the head was fake and the paint was a little off. They compared it to the real deal and noticed some differences. I told them that is what they sold me. He called the other store and was placed on hold to talk to the sales guy that sold me the club. I said I will drive over to the other store and talk to the salesperson in person that sold me the club. I took the club and walked out, the other guy was still on hold when I left. I went home and switched the tags back to the original club. I then drove back to the main store, and just told the cashier and the sales guy I bought the club from, that I was going to buy the club for my dads birthday, but he already bought himself a similar club, and that i wanted to return the club. I knew something was up when I tried to return the club. It was really awkward, and the sales guy was making a lot of chit chat about golfing. I then asked some questions about some other clubs that was about 20 feet to the left. The sales guy walked me over to clubs and made some more chit chat. They called up another sales guy, and he brought up another of the exact same club and compared it to the one I was returning; I noticed this out of the corner of my eye. The sales guy tried to sell me something else, but I said no thanks. They returned club and refunded the money back to my debit card. This all happened the same day in about a 6 hour time spand last Friday 10-22.

I obviously wont go back to the stores again. I feel really guilty and will never do it again.

My question is, Can they do anything as far as pressing charges or contacting the police and filing a report?
I assume they have my info since I paid with debit. or if they might have seen my my license plate # if they have cameras.
They are not at any loss, since they refused my return, and they don't have the fake club on hand for proof. is it even worth there time or money to do anything about this?

The general question of my post is, When someone tries to return an item, and the store refuses due to the item being different or switched. can the store do anything about it?

Thanks for your replies.

justalayman

given the fact the real club was returned, I do not see anything happening. Yes, even the attempt to defraud them was illegal but in all reality, they have no way of proving anything.

Go to church and confess, or give some money to charity or whatever it takes to make you feel better. You aren't going to jail for this but the fact you tried it does mean there is something you need to deal with. It's just not a legal thing.

subaru41

given the fact the real club was returned, I do not see anything happening. Yes, even the attempt to defraud them was illegal but in all reality, they have no way of proving anything.

Go to church and confess, or give some money to charity or whatever it takes to make you feel better. You aren't going to jail for this but the fact you tried it does mean there is something you need to deal with. It's just not a legal thing.
Thank you for your help.

So even if they have me on camera or witnesses, you are saying that they would still need the golf club to prove it? I guess since they are not at a loss that would be there time and money spent looking into it.

I don't like breaking the law, and that is why I feel guilty for trying. I appreciate your quick response. I am more that willing to donate money to you through paypal for your services. Thanks again.

CourtClerk

How did you pay for the fake club? If through paypal, did you dispute it?
If on your credit card, did you dispute it?

You may have some options... defrauding someone (or attempting to) isn't it.

subaru41

How did you pay for the fake club? If through paypal, did you dispute it?
If on your credit card, did you dispute it?

You may have some options... defrauding someone (or attempting to) isn't it.
I am still working on the dispute. The problem came up that the ebay user is a no longer registered user and I tried to return the club to the paypal address and but the club came back as undeliverable which is odd that it came from the same address that was on the package. Paypal sent me an email that I need to show proof that I return the club to the seller. I spoke with someone at paypal and told them my story, and how the club came back to me. That is when I got really angry, and tried to switch out the club and return it to the golf store. If I am stuck with the golf club and I am out $150, I am fine with that. I guess I deserve it for what I tried. I am more worried about what I did than being out a $150. I have never broken the law and that is why I felt bad all weekend.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">