• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

attempted assault citation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thalia

texas. i filed attempted assault on an individual who tried to hit me with a tire iron. if a citation is filed, what is the process after that? can i get a restraining order on that individual before we go to court?
thanks.

thalia

Help! What is the next Step?

so do i just go back to the police department and ask for a restraining order against that person? or do I have to wait until we go to court?

racer72

Go to your local courthouse and find the court clerk's office. Depending on the size of the city, it can be a small window up to a long counter with many folks there to help you. Tell the person that you want a restraining order. You will fill out some forms and depending on how busy the judge(s) are and the time of day, you can have a restraining order in 5 minutes or a day or two max. You should also have any supporting evidence to show just cause for a restraining order. You must show just cause. Some courts charge for the service, some don't. If a restraining order is issued, it is up to you to make sure it is properly served.

Some things to consider. If a restraining order is issued and that person is seen with you, no matter who initiated the contact, they will be arrested. If you wish to remove the restraining order, you must go back to court. Just saying never mind will not cut it. And you can be arrested for violating the restraining order too. If you attempt to contact the person and they are attempting to not contact you, the police can be called in and you could be arrested.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">