• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Audio and/or video taping at my condo

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mykoleary

What is the name of your state? WASHINGTON

There have been many posts regarding taping of phone conversations and video-taping at places of employment and retail stores. I've seen nothing that deals directly with taping at my residence when I am not present.

I would like to set up video or audio surveillance in my condo to monitor people who come to our condo (which we are currently FSBOing and may hie an agent to help with) to make sure that they do not destory or remove anything while viewing it; sometimes while we are on the premises, sometimes while we are not. Also, does having an agent that represents us and knows of the recording change anything in this scenario?

I know that WA is a 2-party state, but that seems to only apply to phone conversations, which does not apply in my scenario.

BelizeBreeze

Go to the hardware store and purchase a sign warning entrants that the premesis is monitored. Then purchase a few 'nanny cams' and have a good time.

mykoleary

Thanks for the answer BB, but could you post a pointer to or text excerpt from the statute that specifies this?

I was under the impression from my limited research that signs were not necessary under FCC/Federal regulations; I'm just not sure if I'm looking in the right place or interpreting things correctly.

B

bjnljholloway

mykoleary said:
I was under the impression from my limited research that signs were not necessary under FCC/Federal regulations; I'm just not sure if I'm looking in the right place or interpreting things correctly.
To me it would seem signs would be a good idea whether necessary or not, because that may disuade someone from messing up your place or stealing something who might other wise do it. Having them on tape won't always get your stuff back or fixed, but preventing it in the first place will.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">