• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Automotive Vandalism

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AirBorn

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD

The short of the story is that my car was scratched (about 5 inches, fairly deep, beside the headlight).

I was looking for a parking spot within a neighborhood to help unload boxes as I was helping a friend move. All of the non reserved spots were taken except for one where there was a recycle bin and trash can in the way. I moved them and placed my car in the spot. Returning later to grab some boxes from the car I find the owner of the trashcan and recycle bin coming out of his home and claiming that he was reserving the spot (Spoken in an irritated tone). I told him that I was helping a friend move and would be gone within an hour. Upon returning less than an hour later to move the car, I found that the trashcan, which I had moved to the sidewalk, was moved and that there was now a large scratch in my car with fresh scrapings along it. I went to knock on his door, he came out and feigned ignorance of the scratch. When I stated that it was obvious that he had made the scratch as he was closest to my vehicle since the bin was sitting only inches from where the scratch was. He started yelling, using profanity, and even trying to pull the race card (stating that I was blaming him because I'm white and he is hispanic).
I did not have the full street address of the neigborhood at the time so I contacted the police the next day. According to them, the damage is minimal compared to what they usually see, so they do not seem to care.

I feel that I cannot let this go, as accepting this damage would be an insult to me and a victory to those who can get away with such acts.

I believe that he laid claim to the non reserved spot as the neighborhood was not properly plowed. Which would be on the heads of the neighborhood association. I am planning to contact them tomorrow regarding this issue. As (if my assumption is correct) they are partially at fault for causing such a situation.

Do you have any advice for me in my attempts to get justice for this injustice?

AirBorn

Will my insurance carrier be able to have him pay for the damages?

I would like to get this resolved without my rates going up, and not have to pay a dime for something that is his fault.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You have NO PROOF that HE did it. You assume he did. It could have been someone else that did it. The garbage can could have been used but prove that the Hispanic gentleman you spoke to is to blame. the home owner's association is NOT to blame for criminal acts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">