• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

AZ Misdemeanor DV and Gun rights >

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bob1966tb

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AZ

All, I was convicted of Disorderly Conduct - DV in 2002.

In 2008 I petitioned the court to have my conviction "set aside". The court approved and my conviction was "set aside". I verified this by obtaining my public records.

This is the only time I have ever been arrested and is the only conviction I have ever received.

It is my understanding that the "set aside" doesn't alter my ability to NOT be allowed to legally posses a firearm.

I should note that at no time during the criminal hearing was I informed that by accepting the conviction - I would loose my gun rights.

So.... am I correct that the "set aside" doesn't alter the restriction that I may not legally posses a firearm ?

Is there any legal solution that would allow me to regain my firearms rights ?

Thanks for feedback.

Bob

xylene

Lautenburg

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AZ

All, I was convicted of Disorderly Conduct - DV in 2002.

In 2008 I petitioned the court to have my conviction "set aside". The court approved and my conviction was "set aside". I verified this by obtaining my public records.

This is the only time I have ever been arrested and is the only conviction I have ever received.

It is my understanding that the "set aside" doesn't alter my ability to NOT be allowed to legally posses a firearm.
Your set-aside may allow your to possess, but may not. Consult a lawyer before attempting to acquire any firearms.

I should note that at no time during the criminal hearing was I informed that by accepting the conviction - I would loose my gun rights.
Many penalties exist for a criminal record, especially for DV. I really doubt you have any claim of ineffective counsel. It doesn't matter.

So.... am I correct that the "set aside" doesn't alter the restriction that I may not legally posses a firearm ?
You may not lawfully purchase or possess a firearm unless your set-aside means that under Lautenburg you were not convicted.

Is there any legal solution that would allow me to regain my firearms rights ?
The repeal of The Domestic Violence Offender Gun Ban, often referred to as "the Lautenberg Amendment".

State law may also apply.

Consult a lawyer. The NRA and other pro-gun groups can refer you to an expert in gun rights cases.

bob1966tb

Thank you !

Xylene,

Thank you for your timely and succinct feedback.

I don't expect the Lautenberg Amendment to be repealed in my lifetime.

AZ State law doesn't remove a misdemeanor until the convicted person is 99 years of age. ( "only" 44 more years to go ;) for me ). A "set aside" doesn't remove the conviction.

I should have gone to trial in the first place --- as the circumstances would probably have resulted in a Not-Guilty verdict.

Oh well... hindsight is 20-20.

Best Regards,

Bob

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">