• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bad Check 4.5 years ago

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

walkerdavis

What is the name of your state? South Carolina

My family and I are presently working overseas and I have been informed that a letter arrived at my parents stating that it was to serve notice of two check written in May, 1998 ($25.54 & $5.00) that were not accepted by the bank. The letter stated that we must pay the amounts plus $25 fee each within a month or the amount will be much greater. This was 4.5 years ago. Do I have to pay this? Is there a statute of limitations on this? By the way, this is the first time we were notified of this.

Thanks....

E

Everettkid19

SOL expired

You got lucky, South Carolina has a very short SOL across the board, its 3 years for:

*oral agreements
*written contracts
*promissory notes
*open ended accounts

I would send a cease and desist letter to the company/agency who sent you the letter, letting them know the statue of limitations has expired.

W

walkerdavis

Thanks for the information. I sent the Cease & Desist letter yesterday. I was going to just pay it ($+80) but since they were so rude to me when I called, I decided to take your advice.

Thanks again....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">