• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bad check from friend

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

badchecked

Need some help in florida. Inorder to help a friend I fronted the downpayment for his new car on my american express card. He gave me a check for $5000.00 that was payable when my amex was due. Well he never had money in his account to cover the check. After 1 month of phonecalls he gave me partial payment of $1000.00. That check cleared. He made no attempt to pay off the balance of $4000.00 so I deposited the $5000.00 check he had given me. He now claims I broke the law since I accepted partial payment. He had previously told me he would pay 10% late charges ect. Can i attach a lean to the car, sue in small claims? Am i entitled to 3X damages? Thanks for the help.

T

Tracey

Without a written agreement, you'll have a hard time establishing a lien. You didn't violate the law by depositing the check. He's an idiot -- he broke the law by writing a check when there were insufficient funds in the account to cover it and he obviously never intended to put sufficient funds in to pay the check. This is known as Unauthorized Issuance of a Bank Check in Washington [UIBC] & is a felony.

Sue him in small claims & file a criminal report.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws. [email protected] - please include some facts so I know who you are!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">