• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bad Check...HELP!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Fracture

What is the name of your state? Oregon

Hi,

OK, Here's the story. I loaned a girl I just met (I know, I know) rent money so she wouldn't get evicted and she gave me a check with a blank "To:" line, already signed. She told me the check was from her boyfriends brother to pay me back. I fill in my name, and wrote in "For Rent" on the comments line and off to the bank I went the next day. Well, you guessed it, the signiture didn't match, bank looks at me funny, and I break out in a cold sweat knowing I've been had. Stupid, Stupid, Stipid... Time goes by and this girl does get evicted, and her room-mates find a bunch of my important papers in her bags. I go back and see what else is missing and sure enough, my last box of checks is gone. More Sweat! By this point, my bank already hates me. Plus, What if the check she gave me was stolen, now with my name emblazoned all over it...Ack! Plus, Now my bank is acting really funny around me. Have I broken the law somehow, and what should I do? Help...Help! :eek: Thanks!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">