• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bad check written to my account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Michigan

i had a joint checking account at my credit union with an ex-boyfriend. i also had my own individual account there. i never used the joint account, he was the only user. he recently wrote a "bad check" out of a closed business account of his in Pennsylvania, deposited it into our joint account at an ATM. He then began to withdraw money and write checks out of our joint account. Of course, it took about a week for the original deposited check to bounce. By that time, the joint account was $3333 deficient. The bank took it from my other account (with warning me first). They informed me that it was a felony that he wrote a bad check, deposited it, and then began to withdraw money. I want to know what I need to do. Do I file a police report? Do I go to the court? He is currently on probation for 2 druck driving tickets. I want to get my money back and i want to take the proper steps. please advise. my bank says i have an "open and shut" case, but that i need to pursue him, rather than them. will the state press charges? If I press charges, can i drop them if he pays me back?

djohnson

I'm going to try to bump this one so someone will answer you.

My opinion is: It was a joint checking account so the bank had the right to take the money from your account. They are who he wrote the check to, so they are the only ones that can go after him on a returned check charge even if they could or it wasn't paid for with your money. You can't go after him fo that. Depending on what you 'agreements' were on the joint account you might can sue him civilly but it's gonna be hard and you probably won't get anything out of him anyway.

Some one else ??

N

nhunsb1

Why did you still have a joint checking account with this person? By having your name on this account you are accepting responsibility for this account, even if you don't use it.

This is a civil matter, pretty much all you can do is sue him for the money he owes.

AmosMoses

If he screwed you, and you press charges, why worry if you can drop 'em or not? If you can, fine, if not, so what? he did this, not you. Take care of yourself and let him worry about himself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">