• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bad Checks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nicole1173

What is the name of your state? nj. i have aquestion i just got acall from a attorney stating that i wrote 3 checks back in 1999 and they want me to pay $279 for a $47.08 check. i asked them to send me the information like copies of the check and i would pay the original amount of the check and the original overdrfat fee they are stating they do not have to give me a copy of the check unless i agree to pay? can they wait this long to contact me and am i responsible to pay this extra $200 fee?

Son of Slam

nicole1173 said:
What is the name of your state? nj. i have aquestion i just got acall from a attorney stating that i wrote 3 checks back in 1999 and they want me to pay $279 for a $47.08 check. i asked them to send me the information like copies of the check and i would pay the original amount of the check and the original overdrfat fee they are stating they do not have to give me a copy of the check unless i agree to pay? can they wait this long to contact me and am i responsible to pay this extra $200 fee?

Just let them throw your sorry check cheating ** in jail. That way you only have to pay bail and lawyer fees and restitution and court fees and fines.

Last edited by a moderator:
N

nicole1173

you really have a problem.... why would you write something stupid like that. you should be kicked off this web site. i am glad you think that this web site is a big joke.

AmosMoses

I don't get it...an attorney calls to tell you that you wrote "3 checks in 1999", you are asking him about paying one. What's up with that? I mean, did you only write 3 TOTAL, and the other 2 are legit? Why would he, then you, mention 3 at first?

N

nicole1173

She called me telling me there were 3 checks and I asked for copies of the checks and told them if they were legit I would pay but They want an additional $200 on top of the original amount of the checks they are claming I wrote.

M

MrsSmith2U

Do you remember getting any overdraft notices from your bank? Do you have the same account? If so, can you ask the bank to give you copies...there may be a fee involved in doing that. I wouldn't pay anything until I saw the proof.

AmosMoses

Where did the figure of $47.08 come from? Is that the totality of these three checks? This is a significant difference, you do realize don't you? Over here, any overdraft check usually costs about 50 bucks over the check amount...about $25 at the bank and $25 at the place you wrote it. Now, I don't know who the lawyer is representing, but if you wrote three hot checks that totaled about 50 bucks, and the overdraft charges alone could approach 150 to 200 bucks simply to square this matter away immediately and voluntarily. So, really, $279.00 for three hot checks totalling about 50 bucks doesn't seem out of line at all to me considering that it has been turned over to collections and held for so long. more importantly, it is VERY surprising to me that you have no criminal charges against you! Hot checks are a whole different ball game from credit card non-payment, etc., and you can get in a world of crap over this. I can tell you this, and it is simply my uneducated advice...if these were checks written by you, not forged (and I doubt they were at $47.08 for three checks...I am sure you know if they are or not, or you should, anyway!) I would pay this amount ASAP and apologize to the collector...I would kiss his butt for not prosecuting me! Also, if criminal charges have been lodges already and you are not aware of it, I would still pay as you will have to later anyway, and it will show good faith on your part trying to make it right. Also, again if you wrote these, I would pay simply because it is the right thing to do. This is CHEAP, and you are getting off lightly here. Thank your lucky stars and PAY UP, PRONTO!! Like I said, you should know if these are legit charges. If you KNOW you didn't write them, make a fraud report, but you BETTER be sure. You can make this lots worse. You can fix this, or you cxan make it much worse. If these are legit, you are in ABSOLUTELY no position to "bargain" with these people. NJ may be very different, but in LA, you would have been in deep s*&^ over this!! Be careful with this matter!

djohnson

Do you have any information on the checks other than the amounts? Can you answer the earlier question about your bank statement? Did you know you had these checks? Who was the checks written to?

You may already have a worthless check warrant out for you. Did he mention this? It is to late to file one at this stage but it could have already been done. I agree, I don't think that is too much to request. It could be more depending on what they have to go through.

Son of Slam

AmosMoses said:
... Now, I don't know who the lawyer is representing, but if you wrote three hot checks that totaled about 50 bucks, and the overdraft charges alone could approach 150 to 200 bucks simply to square this matter away immediately and voluntarily. So, really, $279.00 for three hot checks totalling about 50 bucks doesn't seem out of line at all to me considering that it has been turned over to collections and held for so long. more importantly, it is VERY surprising to me that you have no criminal charges against you! Hot checks are a whole different ball game from credit card non-payment, etc., and you can get in a world of crap over this. I can tell you this, and it is simply my uneducated advice...if these were checks written by you, not forged (and I doubt they were at $47.08 for three checks...I am sure you know if they are or not, or you should, anyway!) I would pay this amount ASAP and apologize to the collector...I would kiss his butt for not prosecuting me! Also, if criminal charges have been lodges already and you are not aware of it, I would still pay as you will have to later anyway, and it will show good faith on your part trying to make it right. Also, again if you wrote these, I would pay simply because it is the right thing to do. This is CHEAP, and you are getting off lightly here. Thank your lucky stars and PAY UP, PRONTO!! Like I said, you should know if these are legit charges. If you KNOW you didn't write them, make a fraud report, but you BETTER be sure. You can make this lots worse. You can fix this, or you cxan make it much worse. If these are legit, you are in ABSOLUTELY no position to "bargain" with these people. NJ may be very different, but in LA, you would have been in deep s*&^ over this!! Be careful with this matter!

Now that's what I was trying to imply. I just don't have that gift of gab.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">