• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bar vandalism by friend. I drove him home. What do I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TraegusPearze

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

I was at a bar with my friend and witnessed him vadalize. He smashed a large potted plant outside of the bar, which in my estimation looked to be over $500. I saw him smash it, as did other people. We left the bar and went home, and I believe someone took a picture of my license plate.

Now I realize that we shouldn't have left. He was incredibly drunk and angry, and frankly I was scared and panicked. Now I don't know what to do. Am I an accessory after the fact because we left together? Could I be charged for fleeing the scene of the crime? I want to call the bar, or the police, but I'm afraid that it's too late and I will be charged either way because I drove him. I don't know what to do. I am involved because I drove him, but I didn't partake in the vandalism. Do I wait and see if anything happens? Could I have a warrent out for my car?

Please help!

TraegusPearze

Something I saw in another thread and wanted to add: I did not know he was going to do anything beforehand, nor did I cheer him on or encourage him. It happened so fast, and then we left.

FlyingRon

There's no crime for "fleeing the scene of the crime" unless it is a cop chasing trying to stop you.

What you are at risk of is being considered an accomplice in the vandalism. Driving the getaway car is participating in the crime even if you weren't the one inflicting the damage.

What you should do is:

1. Keep away from your drunken friend. He's just going to get you in trouble.
2. Stay away from that bar. The employees may not know who you are now but they may recognize you if you come back.
3. Keep your mouth shut. If the police come by, decline to speak to them. If they arrest you, decline to speak to them without an attorney present. If you get charging documents served on you (a cop often will come to your door or tape them to your door if you don't answer), take them to an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">