• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

battery

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

badmistake

What is the name of your state? wisconsin, i got into a fight at a bar on feb 1st and i hit a guy and gave him a fat lip he did not seek medical attention and he did not call the police however he's been calling me at home demanding 1000.00 dollars and says if i don't pay him he's going to call the police and he's also threatened to call my employer to get me fired, my question is could i still get arrested or get a ticket and can i still get sued in court over this? or should i try and work out a payment with this person without getting the law involved?

H

hmmbrdzz

badmistake said:
What is the name of your state? wisconsin, i got into a fight at a bar on feb 1st and i hit a guy and gave him a fat lip he did not seek medical attention and he did not call the police however he's been calling me at home demanding 1000.00 dollars and says if i don't pay him he's going to call the police and he's also threatened to call my employer to get me fired, my question is could i still get arrested or get a ticket and can i still get sued in court over this? or should i try and work out a payment with this person without getting the law involved?
In our state, you've got a couple of years to file assault charges. I'm not sure about Wisconsin. I don't know the circumstances of the fight, so I don't know what your chances would be if you got arrested and claimed self defense. If you get arrested for assault, you're going to have to go to court and explain it, BUT so is he. It's been almost a month since he hit you. When did he start calling? Does he still have a fat lip? Have you been keeping a record of when he calls and what he says?

hmmbrdzz

B

badmistake

he started calling me the same night it happened and yes i'm keeping record of his calls i even have one on tape where he's telling me to bring $1000.00 to the bar where it happened or he's going to call the police and my employer, i also heard from a friend that knows this guy and he told me this person has a history of picking fights only to get hit then sue, i also heard he claims to still have a lump on or near his lip

L

loocpoc

Go to your local DA and file a criminal complaint. It can be condsidered harrassment and also take a copy of the tape. He may also get charged with extortion.

B

badmistake

thank you

thank you hmmbrdz and loocpoc for responding, i appreciate your time and thoughts, since my last posting i spoke to a person who also knows the guy i hit and said he's ready to have me served with "papers" but also says he would settle for 500.00 dollars and be done with it so i'm thinking about writting some kind of agreement we could both sign and give him the 500.00 and forget the whole thing...i'm wide open for any more advice........thanks again

H

hmmbrdzz

Re: thank you

badmistake said:
thank you hmmbrdz and loocpoc for responding, i appreciate your time and thoughts, since my last posting i spoke to a person who also knows the guy i hit and said he's ready to have me served with "papers" but also says he would settle for 500.00 dollars and be done with it so i'm thinking about writting some kind of agreement we could both sign and give him the 500.00 and forget the whole thing...i'm wide open for any more advice........thanks again
My response: If you've got the tape, I wouldn't dare give his measly butt $500.00 or make up any contract with him. I'd go to the DA with the tape and the story and let the cool breeze from a warrant flapping his face heal his fat lip. :cool:

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">