• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Battery

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jrehlers

What is the name of your state? IL

I was at a bar in Milwaukee, WI and I saw a guy I know get thrown out. I outside to ask what he had done and a bouncer from the bar grabbed me, elbowed me in the face, grabbed me by the neck, threw me against a car and then threw me on the ground. My sister who witnessed the whole thing called the police. The police got there and the went and talked to the bar owner and bouncer and they never once asked myself or my sister (who called them) what had happened. They gave me a ticket for disorderly conduct, and I don't do anything at all, and said they gave the bouncer a ticket for assault and battery. Is that all it is for assault and battery? A mere ticket? I feel like there is something wrong with the situation and how the police handled it, but I don't know anything about law.What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

seniorjudge

jrehlers said:
What is the name of your state? IL

I was at a bar in Milwaukee, WI and I saw a guy I know get thrown out. I outside to ask what he had done and a bouncer from the bar grabbed me, elbowed me in the face, grabbed me by the neck, threw me against a car and then threw me on the ground. My sister who witnessed the whole thing called the police. The police got there and the went and talked to the bar owner and bouncer and they never once asked myself or my sister (who called them) what had happened. They gave me a ticket for disorderly conduct, and I don't do anything at all, and said they gave the bouncer a ticket for assault and battery. Is that all it is for assault and battery? A mere ticket? I feel like there is something wrong with the situation and how the police handled it, but I don't know anything about law.What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?
Drunken brawls are not real popular with prosecutors so everybody gets ticketed.

CdwJava

Most states allow an option for misdemeanors - arrest or citation. In a case where the matter is resolved and not likely to continue, a citation is appropriate. When we're talking about a bar fight, the matter is rarely prosecuted anyway as there is no real way to determine WHO started the whole affair.

- Carl

jrehlers

It wasn't a fight. I walked outside and asked the bouncer that was choking my friend (who wasn't fighting back at all) what he had done, and a different bouncer attacked me. I didn't do or say anything that would have provoked anything and I didn't fight back after being held by the neck up against a car elbowed in the face and thrown and pinned on the ground.

CdwJava

jrehlers said:
It wasn't a fight. I walked outside and asked the bouncer that was choking my friend (who wasn't fighting back at all) what he had done, and a different bouncer attacked me. I didn't do or say anything that would have provoked anything and I didn't fight back after being held by the neck up against a car elbowed in the face and thrown and pinned on the ground.
And it is doubtful that the bouncer will admit to making an unprovoked assault ... hence the reason these cases are almost impossible to take to trial.

But, apparently you will have your chance to do so ... IF the DA files.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">