• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

battery by juvenile

• Thread starter darrell schliff
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

darrell schliff

What is the name of your state? pa. my 18 year old daughter was beat up by a minor and he is claiming self defence. her story is that he kicked her car ,she ran towards him to find out why . he threw her on the ground and punched her repeatedly in the face. should we get a lawyer? and approx. how much do they charge

D

darrell schliff

correct, they said it was clearly acase of battery but he wants to claim self defence because she ran up behind him.

JETX

"should we get a lawyer?"
*** If you are not able to resolve this issue any other way, then yes.

"and approx. how much do they charge"
*** There is no way to answer that since no attorney has a 'legal menu'. However, it is likely that any costs could be recovered in the lawsuit or, depending on a full review of the issues, a lawyer may take this on contingency.

dakoto70

I was told

I was told that in a situation were I hit someone an claim self defense I had to have been hit three times by this other individual before anyone would believe it was self defense. This was told to me by two officers after I was in an altercation. And I tried claiming self defense. So I don't know if it is the law but that is what I was told.

stephenk

There is no "three hit" rule for a self defense claim.

Boy, you and the daughter really mix it up with people.

dakoto70

I said that was what I was told I didn't say it was right and I was also told this by a police officer. and what do you mean me and the daughter really mix it up? I stated in my post THIS IS WHAT I WAS TOLD, DON'T KNOW IF IT IS THE LAW re-read my post before you cut on me.

JETX

No, there is no 'two hits free' rule.

self-defense
n. the use of reasonable force to protect oneself or members of the family from bodily harm from the attack of an aggressor, if the defender has reason to believe he/she/they is/are in danger. Self-defense is a common defense by a person accused of assault, battery or homicide. The force used in self-defense may be sufficient for protection from apparent harm (not just an empty verbal threat) or to halt any danger from attack, but cannot be an excuse to continue the attack or use excessive force. Examples: an unarmed man punches Allen Alibi, who hits the attacker with a baseball bat. That is legitimate self-defense, but Alibi cannot chase after the attacker and shoot him or beat him senseless. If the attacker has a gun or a butcher knife and is verbally threatening, Alibi is probably warranted in shooting him. Basically, appropriate self-defense is judged on all the circumstances. Reasonable force can also be used to protect property from theft or destruction. Self-defense cannot include killing or great bodily harm to defend property, unless personal danger is also involved, as is the case in most burglaries, muggings or vandalism.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">