• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

being accused of fraud. plz help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

monaye91

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

I have someone accusing me of credit card fraud and hacking into their email and facebook acounts. I have done this once before in the past to the same person and the person told me to pay them $1000 and he would not press charges.I paid the money with no problem. I did it because i was mad at him at the time because he cheated. Now he is coming back again saying that he is going to press charges. Can he still press charges against me? And can i sue him for blackmail? Also, if convicted how much time am i facing?

Last edited:

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

I have someone accusing me of credit card fraud and hacking into their email and facebook acounts. I have done this once before in the past to the same person and the person told me to pay them $1000 and he would not press charges.I paid the money with no problem. I did it because i was mad at him at the time because he cheated. Now he is coming back again saying that he is going to press charges. Can he still press charges against me? And can i sue him for blackmail? Also, if convicted how much time am i facing?
So, you figured that if you got away with it once, you'd just go ahead and repeat your past mistakes? Bad choice.

Sure they can file a police report against you - as long as the statute of limitations hasn't yet run out on the particular offense(s). Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. Apparently you didn't learn your lesson the first time.

Can you sue them for blackmail? You could try, but then again, they could just say they were looking to get paid back for the money you stole from them when you fraudulently used their credit cards.

As for how much time, that all depends on the charges, whether or not you have prior convictions, and how good your attorney is. If/when the police come knocking on your door, say nothing. Exercise your right to remain silent, and ask for an attorney before answering ANY questions.

quincy

He can't file charges. He can only file a complaint with the police. The police will investigate and then it would be up to a prosecutor to decide, based on the investigation, whether any charges will be filed.

Your "friend" could potentially sue you and you could potentially sue him. Anyone can sue anyone else for pretty much any reason at all. Suits just don't go very far if they have no merit.

I suggest you speak with an attorney in your area and go over all facts of your situation. You can do it now, or you can wait for the police to contact you, or you can wait for a summons and complaint to be served notifying you that you are being sued.

edit: sandyclaus and I were, apparently, writing at the same time. The advice offered by sandyclaus, on not saying anything to the police without an attorney present, should be followed.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">