• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being accused of theft at work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

becca4988

My name is Becca. I worked at a restaurant as an asst. manager for months in Missouri. One morning I open the restaurant, set up the drawers and prepare the change order for the bank. I leave to go to the bank and return after making the deposits and the owner later calls asking about the deposits. I realized a deposit was missing and began searching for it thinking it got misplaced or dropped. After a few of us searched, they found it in a full trash bag which was from the office which was thrown away in the dumpster but only found the envelope and deposit slip but no money.
As I was the manager on duty, I was questioned about the situation and tried my best to help. Two days later, the money was dropped in the night deposit at the bank as if whoever stole it got scared and returned it. After a couple months and a few meetings with the officer, he brought it to my attention and he believes I stole it and said he can put out a warrant for my arrest. I said there is no evidence that I took it so he can't take me in. He mentioned the camera shows me throwing the envelope away. I told him the bank returns the envelopes that the money was in with the deposit receipt and I was throwing that away.
When I was 18 years old, I ended up getting a felony burglary charge for being an accessory to a crime so I understand that fingers will be pointed at me.
My main question is, with the money being returned, what charges could he even try to charge me with? It seems like a case that is just trying to get a small charge out of it.

tranquility

The money being returned means nothing to the underlying crimes. Arguendo, it was you who took it; embezzlement and burglary come to mind--along with any false statements to the police.

The best part for you is that, the bank has a camera on the deposit slot. If someone is going to be charged, they will use that footage to help identify a suspect. (Just because it isn't someone from the business does not mean all are free, there would need to be a connection between the depositor and employee.)

justalayman

He mentioned the camera shows me throwing the envelope away. I told him the bank returns the envelopes that the money was in with the deposit receipt and I was throwing that away.
when was the video of you throwing the envelope away from; before or after the money was deposited from the bank? Security video is usually date and time stamped. If the video was from a date prior to the deposit date of the money, it is quite damning. If it was from after the deposit, it would support your statement.

Just Blue

My name is Becca. I worked at a restaurant as an asst. manager for months in Missouri. One morning I open the restaurant, set up the drawers and prepare the change order for the bank. I leave to go to the bank and return after making the deposits and the owner later calls asking about the deposits. I realized a deposit was missing and began searching for it thinking it got misplaced or dropped. After a few of us searched, they found it in a full trash bag which was from the office which was thrown away in the dumpster but only found the envelope and deposit slip but no money.
As I was the manager on duty, I was questioned about the situation and tried my best to help. Two days later, the money was dropped in the night deposit at the bank as if whoever stole it got scared and returned it. After a couple months and a few meetings with the officer, he brought it to my attention and he believes I stole it and said he can put out a warrant for my arrest. I said there is no evidence that I took it so he can't take me in. He mentioned the camera shows me throwing the envelope away. I told him the bank returns the envelopes that the money was in with the deposit receipt and I was throwing that away.
When I was 18 years old, I ended up getting a felony burglary charge for being an accessory to a crime so I understand that fingers will be pointed at me.
My main question is, with the money being returned, what charges could he even try to charge me with? It seems like a case that is just trying to get a small charge out of it.
Becca? You need to be more careful with what you post on the net. Google may NOT be your friend. ;)

becca4988

when was the video of you throwing the envelope away from; before or after the money was deposited from the bank? Security video is usually date and time stamped. If the video was from a date prior to the deposit date of the money, it is quite damning. If it was from after the deposit, it would support your statement.
It was the same day. I got back from the bank, grabbed the deposit receipts out of the envelopes and threw the envelopes away. The day I made those deposits, is when I was suppose to make the missing deposit.
This has been ongoing since around the end of January. I feel like the officer was just trying to make me crack even though multiple times i told him I didn't do it and there's no evidence that i handled the money and took it. Now they are sending the deposit receipt into the lab for fingerprints but i know of at least 3 people including myself that has touched that.
I just recently got off probation for 5 years and haven't had any charges other than minor traffic for over 4 years. They ended up firing me for the event since I was the manager on duty. I finally got a full time job again and honestly I was want to move on with my life and get back on track but I feel like I will be to blamed and charged. I can't afford a lawyer and my family doesn't have the money to help. I just want this to be dropped.

tranquility

Since you are already fired, don't talk to the police any more. Don't help them understand, don't explain what they missed, don't tell them what evidence they have or don't have, just don't say anything to them. If they ask you questions (other than identification-type questions in booking), you reply, "I'd like to have my attorney present before any questioning." No matter what they say, or threaten, there is NOTHING that talking with them will help. Nothing.

dave33

It was the same day. I got back from the bank, grabbed the deposit receipts out of the envelopes and threw the envelopes away. The day I made those deposits, is when I was suppose to make the missing deposit.
This has been ongoing since around the end of January. I feel like the officer was just trying to make me crack even though multiple times i told him I didn't do it and there's no evidence that i handled the money and took it. Now they are sending the deposit receipt into the lab for fingerprints but i know of at least 3 people including myself that has touched that.
I just recently got off probation for 5 years and haven't had any charges other than minor traffic for over 4 years. They ended up firing me for the event since I was the manager on duty. I finally got a full time job again and honestly I was want to move on with my life and get back on track but I feel like I will be to blamed and charged. I can't afford a lawyer and my family doesn't have the money to help. I just want this to be dropped.
How do you know the receipt is going to the lab? Is that what the cops told you?
Always keep in mind, an officer that lies to a suspect is simply utilizing an effective investigative technique. A suspect that lies to an officer is committing a crime (obstruction of justice ).
Who knows what the truth is? What the detective still feels he needs to bring charges? They are talking to you because they still need something from you to bring charges against you, as
pointed out above, do not talk to the police.

Dillon

Is that what the cops told you?
A suspect that lies to an officer is committing a crime (obstruction of justice )
police lying is obstrustion, U tink. lying is immoral for everyone

Justice means the quality of being just; righteousness, equitableness, or moral rightness: to uphold the justice of a cause.

a cause like injury or damage to people or violaton of their legal rights.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hitting the sauce a bit early today aren't you Dillon?

police lying is obstrustion, U tink. lying is immoral for everone

Justice means the quality of being just; righteousness, equitableness, or moral rightness: to uphold the justice of a cause.

a cause like injury or damage to poeple or violaton of their legal rights.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">