• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being asked to pay to not have case proceed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fridaymourning

What is the name of your state? Oregon

My daughter was fired; her boss accused her of theft. He also says his other employees are/were stealing from him. He filed a police complaint for an amount considered a felony. The detective who came to investigate told my daughter he believes her boss, not her, and that her boss wants money from her (thousands) or the case will proceed. I thought only a district attorney makes the decision whether or not a case goes forward?

Does this sound normal? No one else that the boss says he suspects is being investigated. He run his business very loosely and pulls cash out of his own register without writing it down. He's guessing at an amount he thinks is "missing." He says she needs to tell him what she knows about everyone he suspects. Are they just trying to bully her? (She's young and has never been in any kind of trouble; she had recently confronted him on some issues in how he runs his business.)What is the name of your state?

CdwJava

It is not uncommon for even an officer to go to a suspect and advise them that the victim will change their mind about prosecution if they pay the victim back. In many instances, that is all the victim really wants - they don't want to waste time with a trial and the time off, they just want their money back.

It's her choice. She can choose to pay the employer the money he says he owes her, or, she can tell them all to pound sand, maintain her innocence, and take her chances at trial.

It would be a good idea idea for her to consult an attorney ASAP.

- Carl

calatty

Giving her boss any money will be taken as an admission of guilt. And it will not prevent the prosecutor from bringing charges against her. Let them take her to court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">