• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being called a racial name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

TLC_Kimberle

What is the name of your state? south carolina

today after I dropped my child off at school, a lady behind me was upset that I had thrown a cig. out my window. she was yelling and all, so I stopped my car to talk to her, I know it was wrong what I did and all, as i was stopping she almost ran into me trying to speed up and pass me on a one way road. as she passed she yell out " you dumb a** cracker" I got her tag number, but am not sure what , if anything can be done.

racer72

You can do nothing. It is not against the law to call people names, that is protected by the first amendment. If I saw you throw a butt out the window of your car I would have given it back and called you a whole lot worse.

T

TLC_Kimberle

i do think you are wrong, you can not just go around calling people names, as a parent that is what you teach your children. as far as the cig goes, yes, i was wrong to do that, but she had no right to yell at my CHILD about this, if she had a problem with what I had done she should have said it to me, not a 10 year old. I am not making excuses as to what I did, I know it was wrong, but trying to run someone off the road, and calling them names is also not right

M

Mike101

Unless there is a specific local ordinance you can more or less call anybody anything you want.

T

TLC_Kimberle

gee, it is so nice so many of you are willing to take the side of someone yelling at a 10 year old, then calling his mother a "cracker" just beause she threw out a cig.
no wonder the laws are so messed up.

T

TLC_Kimberle

mike, i am sorry , your right you were not taking sides. I am looking into what you said.

and in case anyone needs or wants more info about littering , which isWRONG, I found this:
If you see someone litter their cigarette, try to communicate your feelings to them in a non-confrontational way. One way to do that is to pick up their cigarette and dispose of it for them so that they get the message that their action was not appropriate. Another way is to just say how you feel. Do whatever is comfortable for you, but try not to let the incident go unchecked. When someone litters in full view of lots of people and no one says anything, it is easy for that person to assume that their action is normal and appropriate

now, the part that said "try to communicate your feelings to them in a non-confrontational way, that should have been how she handled it. I would have picked it up and it would have been end of it

HomeGuru

I'm not taking sides either. I am merely an advocate against littering our beautiful South Carolina landscape.
Also, my post merely hints at expounding that no law has been broken by old yeller, butt a law has been broken by TLC.

T

TLC_Kimberle

Yes, it is a law that you should not litter. And to tell you the truth, I have never much thought about what a butt can do. I don’t throw out other trash, but I guess if I throw out a butt along with 1000's other we are all making a mess. I have seen that what I have done is wrong, I have never stated otherwise. I am still sure that something should be done to this woman for trying to run me off the road and using a racial name. It doesn’t matter what I had done, no one deserves to be called any type of name especially in front of their child.
I am 34 years old. Never had so much as a parking ticket, and now, because I threw a butt out the window it is now ok for anyone to call me a name and try to run me and my child off a road, well isn’t that a wonderful thing! I am happy to know that I don’t have to respect people any more or worry about driving recklessly.

M

Mike101

Littering is against the law. Driving in a reckless manner is against the law. Name calling is not against the law. If it was a lot of the people on this forum would be going to jail.

N

Nuke

TLC_Kimberle said:
Yes, it is a law that you should not litter. And to tell you the truth, I have never much thought about what a butt can do. I don’t throw out other trash, but I guess if I throw out a butt along with 1000's other we are all making a mess. I have seen that what I have done is wrong, I have never stated otherwise. I am still sure that something should be done to this woman for trying to run me off the road and using a racial name. It doesn’t matter what I had done, no one deserves to be called any type of name especially in front of their child.
I am 34 years old. Never had so much as a parking ticket, and now, because I threw a butt out the window it is now ok for anyone to call me a name and try to run me and my child off a road, well isn’t that a wonderful thing! I am happy to know that I don’t have to respect people any more or worry about driving recklessly.
:rolleyes:

Oh please, if you were SO offended and endangered, then call the police. They'll laugh at you and, if you're really lucky, they'll write you a ticket for littering. Save your battles for something important.

stephenk

Are you upset because you were called a "dumb ass" or a "cracker"?

What did your 10 year old say about the whole thing? What did the lady yell at your kid?

C

Cabrona5150

i thought dumbass crackers threw out cigarrette butts all the time. hmmm...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">