• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

being conned, need help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jsnooka

My friend and I are being charged with 2nd degree criminal mischief for damaging a former roommate's vehicle. The accuser has NO evidence to support this charge except for another former roomate who was repeatedly cohersed by the accuser and the police dept to say her saw my friend and I damgage this car. The vehicle is 12 years old and was not in Mint condition. Also, a "3rd" party witnessed the accuser's witness confess that he told the police that we committed this crime because if he didnt, then he would be accused as well. I believe that this case can be dismissed based on the lack of evidence the prosecution has. ALso, i was able to get multiple character witnesses to testify against the accuser and thusly would hinder his credibility. The attorney that i chose to represent me has informed me that the chances of winning this case is minimal based on the fact that the prosecution has a witness stating he "saw" us committ this crime. I would like to go to trial because i believe that the prosecution's only evidence can easily be dismissed through a cross-examination. We were offered a plea bargain that dropped the charges from a felony to a non-criminal violation but we would have to full restitution for the vehicle's supposed damages. The restitution being asked for is more than the worth of the vehicle itself. i need a 2nd opionion on whether it is worth going to trial or just accept it

racer72

You are confusing evidence with witness testimony and statements. The damaged vehicle is the evidence and will not be able to testify in court. Unless you have some "evidence" that you did not cause the damage, I would suggest you talk to an attorney. Your post give no "evidence" that you did not damage the vehicle.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">