• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

being harrassed by someone crazy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mansosad

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? md

I think I have a pyscho on my trail. 25 years ago, I met a girl while an exchange student at a college. I haven't seen her in over 20 years and the only time I've talked to her is when she calls me. Lately, she has been calling me relatively frequently, and talking more and more irrationally. my wife and I are both starting to worry about her mental stability since she just won't accept my refusals to engage in dialogue and my requests for her to stop calling me.

I am looking for any advice to avoid having this person show up on my doorstep one day with a gun or something. I used to feel sorry for her, but frankly my concern for my family outweighs any sympathy.

I never talk for more than about 3 minutes, never ask questions or engage in dialogue. I have explicitly asked her multiple times to not call me, but she does anyway.

About 10 years ago, I actually tried to counsel her as a former friend. it seemed then that she had some kind of breakdown -- she kept talking about about her father being out to get her, and I think she was homeless for awhile.

Now, she seems to be in some kind of mental breakdown state again. she has called me 3 times in the last month to rail about how some gift I gave her 20 years ago was stolen by someone in her family and today asked me out of the blue if I knew anything about a state prison.

Advice is appreciated and will be considered.

thanks all.

CdwJava

You can call your local phone company and see how you can get her number blocked. You can also call the local police regarding the harassing calls. And, if worse came to worse, you could get a restraining order against her ... which might be tough if you don't know where she lives.

I'd start with blocking her number.

- Carl

mansosad

CdwJava said:
You can call your local phone company and see how you can get her number blocked. You can also call the local police regarding the harassing calls. And, if worse came to worse, you could get a restraining order against her ... which might be tough if you don't know where she lives.

I'd start with blocking her number.

- Carl
do you think i would be better off just blocking first, or calling her to warn her not to call me anymore or face consequences? which is your best guess at being able to avoid inciting her to get on a plane and show up on my doorstep? I know it is a crap shoot either way.

CdwJava

I don't know her, so I really couldn't say. If the number is blocked she just may not be able to get through. I'd try that first. It sounds like you've already told her to knock it off and she won't. I suppose you COULD tell her that if she calls one more time, you are calling the police ... whether that will work or not, I (obviously) couldn't say.

Good luck.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">