• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

being with someone caught shoplifting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

klg272

What is the name of your state? NY
My daughter was with a friend who shoplifted. The other girl had $5.50 worth of stuff in her purse and pocket. My daughter emptied her pockets & purse and was clean. Both are not allowed in the Mall the store is located in. The store has used a Civil Recovery Service to bill ME $75.00 5 times the cost of merchandise = 27.50, not to excede $500. The girl that was caught was also billed.
1. Do we both have to pay? Does that make it double dipped?
2. If I pay it to end the situation, does that meen we admit to doing what the other girl did?

A

Anabelle Delari

Been There

I was in a similar situation with my friend once. My friend stole several items from a store in the mall, and when we were asked to come to the back room and empty our purses, no stolen items were found in my purse, only hers. The store manager asked me if I knew my friend was going to steal, or if I saw her and knew she was stealing. Of course I didn't, so the store could not hold my parents liable. My friend did have to pay,though. I would fight this.

JETX

Your post does NOT say what, if anything, happened to your daughter. Though your post implies that there were no charges, was she charged or ticketed of ANYTHING??

Assuming not, then:
"Do we both have to pay?"
*** Based solely on the information in your post, no. Simply send them a letter explaining that your daughter was not involved, was not charged nor ticketed (if correct) and ask them to prove their demand.

"Does that make it double dipped?"
*** No. Many state laws allow the merchant (victim) civil remedies to recover the costs of their security, etc. from shoplifters

"If I pay it to end the situation, does that meen we admit to doing what the other girl did?"
*** Though I do NOT recommend your paying this (if it is truly invalid), your payment would have no direct affect on the other parties liability. It could however, be seen as substantiation for both girls 'charges'. Simply, the theory is, innocent people don't willingly pay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">