• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being sued

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

frankerwin

What is the name of your state?California
i am being sued in a criminal case judge ordered unspecified dammages can they take or garnish any part of my county pension i do not work i am disabled and unable to work thanks for any help

garrula lingua

I don't understand your post.
Are you on probation in a criminal case and the Judge ordered restitution to the victim as a condition of probation ?

outonbail

yes on probation and judge ordered restitution
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but the judge ordering you to pay restitution to a victim is one of the conditions of your probation. So it's on you to meet these requirements. If you fail to, you would be in violation of your terms of probation and the judge can order you to be taken into custody to serve out your sentence behind bars. You'll be required to work some sort of job in prison which you will receive a small amount of compensation for and the jusdge can require that all money you earn, go towards the restitution.

Didn't they advise you to meet with financial services following your release or at the end of your case, to make payment arrangements? I believe that's standard procedure here in California

frankerwin

being sued

no one told me anything it was upto the victim to ask now i have 1 year left on probation and he is asking for comp. my concern is my family can he take my pension and i am on disability

CdwJava

Which judge is telling you to pay the victim money? A civil court judge (via judgement in a lawsuit)? Or a criminal court judge (via restitution as part of your sentence)?

- Carl

CdwJava

frankerwin said:
criminal court judge via restitution as part of your sentence
Then failure to pay that restitution could be considered a violation of probation and you could find yourself back in custody.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">