• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being a witness?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

enigmage611

What is the name of your state? NJ

Hi, I am an exotic dancer. Recently my club received a summons in the mail claiming that an undercover ABC (Alcoholic Beverage Control) officer came in and got a lap dance from 4 dancers my name being one of them. I did not receive a summons nor did the other girls, just the club. However, now the club wants us to go give their lawyer a statement claiming we did not do what this agent said we did during the lap dance. Apparently, he said we did some shady stuff that could be labeled as lewd or prostitution (i.e. flashing, letting him touch, etc.). I did not want to do this. But, my manager says if I don't and the case ends up going to court I could get charged as well. Is this true or is he just trying to scare me? Basically, right now he wants me to defend his club saying none of this went on so it will look good for them. The ABC is trying to shut down their lap dance room and shut the club down for 45 days as well. So, I am assuming they are trying to work out some kind of plea bargain arrangement, so they do not have to go to court. If it does go to court could I end up getting charged, even though right now I am not, only the club is? Isn't it true that this could anger the ABC and that if they see us as witnesses they could get mad and charge us? Keep in my mind none of us were arressted. I am not sure what the discoverery is, or if they have pictures. I am supposed to go Tuesday to talk to the lawyer and give the statement. My main concern is could I possibly end up getting charged once they have my real name and address and stuff, since I will be a witness technically, even though right now just the club is being charged and their were no arrests? This is an odd situtation, usually when a club goes through this the ABC comes in, raids the club, arrests everyone and charges them on the spot. However, in this situation they apparently came in a few times for a period of 2 months, gave dates they came in, the girls dancer names who they got lap dances from and what went on, and just sent the club a summons. What is your opinion on this?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">