• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

being wrongfully accused

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lkyoder

My child was wrongfully accused of molesting another child and it was proven that the allegations were false. Do we as parents have the right to file a law suit against the parents of the child who made the false allegation? Do we have grounds for a law suit? Can we sue on behalf of our child for mental anguish,pain and suffering, defamation of character, loss of wages, reimbursment of legal fees, etc?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lkyoder:
My child was wrongfully accused of molesting another child and it was proven that the allegations were false. Do we as parents have the right to file a law suit against the parents of the child who made the false allegation? Do we have grounds for a law suit? Can we sue on behalf of our child for mental anguish,pain and suffering, defamation of character, loss of wages, reimbursment of legal fees, etc?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Yes, against the other minor. If you can prove malice by that minor, then the parents are likewise on the hook for up to $25,000.00 for the malicious acts of their child. The minor is on the hook for "sky's the limit" - - the only caveat to that would be the age of the other minor. The older they are, the more willing a court will be to hold their "hand in the fire".

Then you're saying, "what good is suing the minor. He/she doesn't have a job or only works at McDonalds. He/she doesn't own any real estate either, so what good will that do us?"

Well, that may in fact be true; however, you must sue the minor if you plan on obtaining damages from the parents. Also, a judgment against the minor is good for 10 years, and renewable for another 10 years.

Do you think that at some point in those 20 years the other minor could be working or own a bank account, or real estate? There's a pretty good chance.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">