• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Believe Tenant Sold My Personal Property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

artemis2854

Hello,

I rented my home furnished. I believe the tenant has sold many pieces of my personal furnishings without my permission.

After I inspect the property to ascertain whether he did, indeed sell these articles, can I have him arrested? What would be the crime? Larceny doesn't seem to fit and neither does burglary.

Some background--he was informed verbally and in writing that he was not to dispose of any of my property.

I live in New York.

Thanks.

JETX

Though there are some possible charges (conversion, theft, etc.), they would be VERY hard to prove and would be unlikely to be seriously considered for charges.

Instead, I would consider making a claim against the tenant in Small Claims court after you get them evicted. The standards of proof are much simpler.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">