• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Blackmail??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Indiana/North Carolina

This is kinda strange but bear with it. I have two cousins in this situation. cousin#1 lives in Indiana. cousin#2 lives in North Carolina. Cousin#1 knew a friend of cousin#2 called Amber who lives in north carolina. Amber kept putting her home phone number on her aim away message. Which anyone could easily backsearch and find her address. everyone is 14 except cousin#1 who is 19. Cousin#1 told Amber that if she didn't take her phone number off her aim he would post her phone numbers on prank call websites and such. she didn't so cousin#2 has been prank calling Amber to get her to think he number has been posted on some website so she would cooperate. they only think its cousin#2 there's actually no way to prove it. The way he is calling her is completely untraceable even to the FBI. Someone called cousin#1 claiming to be a detective saying cousin#1 will be charged with blackmail if he doesn't stop talking to Amber. can they really charge someone with blackmail for something small such as a request to get a phone number off a 14 year olds aim? I doubt it was even a cop.

CdwJava

First, there is no way to make a call that is COMPLETELY untraceable. Anyone who says that is an idiot, doesn't know what they are talking about, and is certainly a child who has read one too many websites.

Second, while this does not sound like blackmail as no request for money, or for sexual or financial favors has been requested. And, anyone making the prank calls can be charged with a criminal act.

Someone needs to speak to these counsins and tell them to knock off this behavior before they make 5-year-olds look mature.

And the other girl needs to take her phone number off her away message. If need be, someone should tell her parents.

This is one reason why my kids don't have internet access except at MY computer in the living room where I can watch them and monitor their every action.

- Carl

ya its immature and the girl needs to take it down. but the calls are completely untraceable. they use a VOIP program on their computer. its where you make phone calls from your computer's internet connection. It's been on the news cuz the NSA can't trace or tap into the phone calls that terrorists could use as a way to communicate. so you know that if the NSA is complaining that they can't trace it or tap it you know its untraceable. but thats besides the point. I was just making sure that small things like that aren't punishable by blackmail.

CdwJava

I know exactly what you're talking about ... and it IS traceable if the effort is put into it. For this, no one is going to stress it. And the local and state cops aren't likely to have the resources to do it even if they wanted to.

The issue is not so much that it cannot be defeated or traced only that it is much more difficult to do so - especially when they are trying to intercept communications using random searches.

In any event, these kids coul dget themselves in trouble and they need to knock it off.

- Carl

its not the same. they are pranking some friends of theirs and the person they tricked me into calling telling me it was their new phone number. the Amber person isn't in anyway linked to me. the person i was tricked into calling and her are two completely different people. they just live in the same area cuz thats where one of my cousins live.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">