• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is this blackmail

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dave859

What is the name of your state? kentucky

i am going through a divorce with my american wife (i am from england)
during the time we have been separated i have been supporting her financially,
times have got a little hard for me and i can no longer give her money each week and she is sending me threatining emails demanding money from me or she will contact immigration and state that ours was a sham marriage,
i wish to state that i came to the USA because i loved her and not just to get a green card,
a lot of emails she sends me say pay up or else ,
pay me the money or its big trouble for you etc,

is this blackmail?
and if so what can i do about it?
PS i am a ten year green card holder and have been in the USA for five years

until she actually calls the USCIS to report a fraudulent marriage, don't send her any $. i don't think she realizes it but if she reports the marriage as fraud, she too will be in big trouble with the federal government. lying to the federal government is a felony offense and she can possibly be charged for alien smuggling and you may ultimately be deported.

I forgot to mention, when your divorce is finalized, the court may order alimony payments. that is when you give money to her (based on the courts ruling). other than that, you don't owe her a penny right now. since there is no judgement, you are not obligated to pay anything to her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">