• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this a blackmail?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aushani

Dear Hamid,

My family and I, after consulting with each other and reviewing our options, had decided to take our issues to the following principled members of your family.

At the last minute we came to our senses and chose to trust you for now until ultimately God judges between us.

X Technology: We all know the business started with our capital. The majority of more than $100k ICs that are sitting useless in my garage was ordered per your request. I am sure that you agree that a big part of your income in the past came at my expense. Eventually you decided, on your own, to close our joint bank account (Eastern Bank) and make yourself believe that I am responsible for all those ICs. I wish you would stop ignoring the issue and hope you would compensate us for some of the losses for the unsold (and below-cost sold) ICs and which we have incurred over these years. As you remember, you took not only profit but allowed yourself a salary from our inventory in the good old times.
The overall $4300 money , taken from me heartlessly for Hossein’s wedding has not yet been returned. The commotion that this action has brought to my family is like no other. How can your brother take into his new life such a huge amount at a cost to a stranger’s family members!
The sign at the office belongs to the first floor. You did not even have enough courtesy to ask my permission and change it without my knowledge. Meanwhile I have even been paying for its electricity bill. I hope I am compensated for it.

Hamid, I have always appreciated you as a true person, but all of us should realize that we have to pass the tests put in front of us during our lives. I pray that you (and your family) make the right decision regarding these issues. Whatever you decide, I would consider it to be the final verdict for now. However please remember that nothing is worth committing a wrong deed as one day we all will face God.
Regardless of your decision on these matters, I wish your community, family, and you a successful life.

Goodbye,
Peerooz

Last edited:

CdwJava

I do not see where a specific state is mentioned, but for extortion to occur one generally has to make a demand for something of value.

This is how it is defined in my state:

518. Extortion is the obtaining of property from another, with his
consent, or the obtaining of an official act of a public officer,
induced by a wrongful use of force or fear, or under color of
official right.​
I do not see how any force or threat is being applied in the letter. As I read it the letter points out that someone owes some money and is trying to appeal to the person's sense of values to return or repay the money. I hardly see it as extortion.

aushani

in this letter,

what does " At the last minute we came to our senses and chose to trust you for now until ultimately God judges between us." mean ?

and also for how long is the person trusted?

CdwJava

in this letter,

what does " At the last minute we came to our senses and chose to trust you for now until ultimately God judges between us." mean ?

and also for how long is the person trusted?
You can trust someone for however long you feel like trusting them.

As for the line you quoted, I suppose you can interpret it however you wish. To me it says that the writer is choosing to trust the recipient for the moment and invoking God as an appeal to authority in the hope of convincing the recipient to do what the writer believes he should. I don't see it as a threat or any kind of extortion, and absent something more to put this into context, by itself I cannot imagine any court would see it as extortion either. After all, what is being sought? What unlawful coercion is being applied? I do not see it. I see an attempt to appeal to someone to pay back money that they are believed to owe the writer.

aushani

can this letter be twisted in such way that implies if the debt is not settled, the issue will be taken to the family members of the other party? I guess the question is if the debt is not settled then what?

CdwJava

can this letter be twisted in such way that implies if the debt is not settled, the issue will be taken to the family members of the other party? I guess the question is if the debt is not settled then what?
If it has to be twisted to be interpreted as extortion, it is probably not extortion.

If you are the recipient and believe it to be extortion, take it to the local police and explain to them WHY you believe it to be such. I can say that if you brought it to an agency out here in CA they would be almost certain to say that this not a crime. Your state may have a different standard. But, understand, vague references are not likely to be considered extortion.

aushani

cdw Java,

A friend of mine has received this letter recently. He wants to know if there anything in this letter that implies if the issues are not settled, they will be taken to family members. If so, is it then a crime ( blackmail)?

P.S. you seem to be very articulate. Are you a law student?

CavemanLawyer

No this is not blackmail. No nothing can be done about it through the criminal system...regardless of what state you are in.

If this guy has a problem with your friend there is no law preventing him from taking the issue up with his family. The letter sounds like the person intended to do that but decided against it. Even if they follow through so what?

If anything more explicit is threatened, or anything more explicit is demanded, then let us know along with what state this is occurring in and then we might have a different answer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">