• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

blackmail?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aschanne

Live in South Carolina.
My landlord sent inappropriate texts to my wife at the beginning of our lease. He and his fiancé are both police officers. It started when he came to our house late at night to "bum a cigarette" because he was drunk. He was texting my wife about a normal conversation when she wanted to know something simple about the police force. Once he got here he had texted her about having a threesome and if I'd be ok with it. She told him to go away and she didn't hint anything to him about hooking up.

A year later he can't afford to keep the house and has to sell. So we are moving. I was 2 days late on my last month's rent and he threatened to tell my new landlord about being late. So here is what I texted to him. He stated that what I did was illegal but when I challenged him he backed down and seems ok now.

Is this illegal for me to threaten sending the texts to his fiancé?

"Lacey is going to forward inappropriate texts that you sent her if things get bad like you said. so please make things easy. We are working on your home and you will get your money. We want it to go smoothly like you"

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
You didn't do the smartest thing but I don't really see it going anywhere.

At this point minimize your contact with both of them and get the hell out of there.

Silverplum

Unsmart. If she has a problem, she should deal with it: you don't get to sit around and play like you're the Big Pimp Daddy, gonna use your woman to cover your financial problems. :rolleyes:

*spit*

Silverplum

Live in South Carolina.
My landlord sent inappropriate texts to my wife at the beginning of our lease. He and his fiancé are both police officers. It started when he came to our house late at night to "bum a cigarette" because he was drunk. He was texting my wife about a normal conversation when she wanted to know something simple about the police force. Once he got here he had texted her about having a threesome and if I'd be ok with it. She told him to go away and she didn't hint anything to him about hooking up.

A year later he can't afford to keep the house and has to sell. So we are moving. I was 2 days late on my last month's rent and he threatened to tell my new landlord about being late. So here is what I texted to him. He stated that what I did was illegal but when I challenged him he backed down and seems ok now.

"Lacey is going to forward inappropriate texts that you sent her if things get bad like you said. so please make things easy. We are working on your home and you will get your money. We want it to go smoothly like you"
q4p with disgust

quincy

Live in South Carolina.

You were late on your rent. Your landlord can report, and some would say has the duty to report, late payments to a prospective landlord if the prospective landlord calls to inquire about your payment history.

Now you want to stop your landlord from reporting accurately that you were late on a payment by threatening to reveal old text messages to your landlord's fiancée? How mature of you.

I recommend you pay your landlord what you owe him and refrain from forwarding any message to the fiancée.

Here is a link to South Carolina's Code of Laws, Offenses Against Public Policy (scroll to Section 16-17-640, Blackmail): http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t16c017.php

adjusterjack

Yep, it's illegal.

SOUTH CAROLINA § 16-17-640. Blackmail.
Any person who verbally or by printing or writing or by electronic communications: (1) accuses another of a crime or offense;
(2) exposes or publishes any of another's personal or business acts, infirmities, or failings; or
(3) compels any person to do any act, or to refrain from doing any lawful act, against his will;
with intent to extort money or any other thing of value from any person, or attempts or threatens to do any of such acts, with the intent to extort money or any other thing of value, shall be guilty of blackmail and, upon conviction, shall be fined not more than five thousand dollars or imprisoned for not more than ten years, or both, in the discretion of the court.

And you did it to a cop. Oh my.

quincy

The cop is not entirely blameless. He created and sent the messages.

(as an aside: a link to the law was already provided ;))

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">