• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Blackmail

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

starclass

My brother-in-law has gotten into some legal trouble and is in need of help. He stole some supplies from work and resold them. The company's owner found out and has been making him work overtime to repay the dept. He has told my brother in law that if he leaves the company he will call the cops and tell all future employers of his crime. Now it has gone further he made him sign a deed over for the value of his home, to cover the monies lost. Now this week he told my brother in law to take out a 125% loan on the house or he will call the cops. This has been going on for about 6months. I know what my brother in law did was wrong and so does he. This sounds like blackmail to me. Can you please help? We are in southern California.

TYRIS

the owner of the company and your brother-in-law entered into a contractual (spelling?) agreement to pay off his debt to the company. the demands the owner is putting on your brother-in-law is extortion.

TYRIS

calatty

It is blackmail. At this point, the owner is as much a criminal as your brother-in-law. Before it goes further, your brother-in-law should consult a lawyer to advise him on what steps to take next.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">