• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Blackmail! Help!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pi314isgood

I did something stupid, and tried to meet with a prostitute I saw on backpage, and in the text messages, I was clearly soliciting. Anyways, I go to the place where we were supposed to meet up, and instead of a girl that shows up, a guy threatens to blackmail me and report me to the police if I don't pay him 1000$. He says he has recorded all of my text messages, has my phone number, and knows my license plate number. Is he bluffing, or is there a good chance he will report to the police. He also said that he goes to the police academy, but I doubt that because he is blackmailing, but I'm not too sure. What should I do in this situation. I blocked his number, but he keeps trying to call me with other phone numbers. This occurred yesterday night. Should I keep ignoring him? I would report him, but then the police might prosecute me too. I honesty don't know what to do.

quincy

I did something stupid, and tried to meet with a prostitute I saw on backpage, and in the text messages, I was clearly soliciting. Anyways, I go to the place where we were supposed to meet up, and instead of a girl that shows up, a guy threatens to blackmail me and report me to the police if I don't pay him 1000$. He says he has recorded all of my text messages, has my phone number, and knows my license plate number. Is he bluffing, or is there a good chance he will report to the police. He also said that he goes to the police academy, but I doubt that because he is blackmailing, but I'm not too sure. What should I do in this situation. I blocked his number, but he keeps trying to call me with other phone numbers. This occurred yesterday night. Should I keep ignoring him? I would report him, but then the police might prosecute me too. I honesty don't know what to do.
What is the name of your state?

Backpage, as a note, is well known to law enforcement. They patrol that site regularly. I doubt that the person threatening you is law enforcement, however.

LdiJ

Hopefully you did not pay him the 1000.00? If no money changed hands I do not believe that you could be arrested for solicitation. However, even if you could, you should really report the guy. You are not the first person he has done this to and you will not be the last.

Pi314isgood

I didn't pay him 1000, but I did pay him 230 with thoughts that he would bring out "someone".... I really messed up and I really regret doing it. He's still calling me, and I've just been ignoring it. Do you guys think that's the right move?

quincy

I didn't pay him 1000, but I did pay him 230 with thoughts that he would bring out "someone".... I really messed up and I really regret doing it. He's still calling me, and I've just been ignoring it. Do you guys think that's the right move?
Thank you for providing your state name, Pi314.

Here is a link to Illinois laws on solicitation: http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/fulltext.asp?DocName=072000050K11-14.1

I would ignore the calls and hang up if the character calls you from a different number.

IF the police show up at your door to question you, tell the police you wish to exercise your right to remain silent and that they can contact your attorney. Then get an attorney. It does not sound as if the man you saw was a police officer and it also does not sound as if the man will call the police on his own to report your solicitation. If the man was not a police officer, however, you were lucky, because Backpage stings are not uncommon.

Whether you want to report the man to the police or not is your decision but I recommend you only do so after consultation with an Illinois attorney. You could make an anonymous call but you should realize that an anonymous call could be ignored by the police. It also might not be all that anonymous.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">